Amie or copain

Nicos

meuf is verlan for femme-   verlan being backward slang, where words are said (obviously) backwards. O riginally used by young people in 'difficult' areas, sometime around the 70s (?). Since words used are often slang the right way round, it makes it even more difficult to 'get'!

une gnolba  une bagnole  une voiture!

Once you have got a good grasp of a language - the hardest thing is to sort out the 'register', what is suitable when and where - and slang, popular, regional, normal and formal. I had to do it 'tother' way round, and it took me ages, and a few very embarrasing situations along the way! |Very posh black tie dinner at the Grand, and somebody asked me how I was. As I was trying to do degree + bring up kids, decorate house, do up garden. etc, etc - I replied 'fine but I am totally knackered' - It was in the early 80s, and it certainly got a few looks until somebody explained 'it's OK, she if Swiss you know!.

I had to look up what a tosser was, seeing it on the other thread.  I guessed the meaning, but didn't know the word.  Just shows, when you're out of touch!   [:P]

Frenchie, tu as oublié ton "jules" qui est en Angleterre.  Je sais que tu ne l'as pas oublié,  mais t'as oublié ce mot (il y en a tellement).   [:)]  

If  FK doesn't come back soon, I'm very worried about him, I'm going to send Nana after him!   [geek]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Frenchie"]

" potée"    How lovely that sounds JR !! [:D]

But you made it up, .. [;-)]

Ok, my perception of things..

As a woman , if I say a person is " un copain" , he is a good mate,  " un ami " is a close friend, someone I can really rely on, you know, the kind of relationship you know will never let you down.

Now , I could say " Mon copain " , or " mon petit ami " ( a bit teenage years) .. then both would mean my boyfriend ..

There's a BIG difference between " un copain "   et " Mon copain" .. Are yu with me ?

[/quote]

A few years ago, we were camping in France and invited one of my penfriends to a barbecue at our campsite and she asked if she could bring her copain with her.  They spent the evening with us and we spent the next few weeks wondering whether he was her copain or her copain!  So, are you saying that if it was platonic, she would asked if she could bring un copain with her.  I don't honestly know which she said now, but I doubt if I would have noticed.  But a few months later we received a wedding invitation, so that confirmed it.  They gave no indication that they were "together" when they were with us.  The only thing is now, I'm wondering what my penfriends think is going off with my children when I say my daughter went somewhere with sa copine or my son with son copain.  So, if I say they have gone somewhere with ses copains, should I really be saying avec des copains.  Also, if I talk about, say my daughter and sa copine and son copain, does it sound as though she is two timing? (Yes I know copains would be plural, but I'm talking about if I was saying one thing about her and another about him.)

Also, I'm a bit hesitant to say my daughter is somewhere with her petit ami as - as you say- it is a bit teenage-ish.  What do you consider is most appropriate for more mature people with a boyfriend/girlfriend?

My friend is German and talks about her girlfriends.  I expect she tells people I'm her girlfriend too.  It always sounds odd to me, but I think Americans do it too.  For me, girlfriend is definitely a petite amie and not a friend who is female.