House name

Chris

We think we might be buying a house in Brittany, but the agent can't tell us the meaning of the name.

It's right on the border between the Breton and Gallo speaking areas, so might have roots there. At the house it's written LESCODEC, but on the map it's written LESCODUEC. Any ideas, please?

Please tell us especially quickly if it means 'radioactive dump', or 'gloomy, damp, suitable only for English buyers'!

Thank you all - I'd tried the Google route and found out about the internet meaning, clearly I'm destined to open an internet cafe instead of a nursery. (Someone advised me to do ferret breeding: I had 2 for £20 here, but they were 195 euros each in the Gamme Verte in Loudeac.) 

Most Celtic names mean something, but you need to get it right. There was a lovely play on the radio a few years ago about a London family who bought a Welsh house called Pant Mawr ('Big Valley'), but misread it and put up a house sign reading Cant Marw ('100 Deaths'), and wondered why everybody laughed at them!

Yes, or the one which proved that Google is as good with Welsh as it is with French. In the Vale of Glamorgan the translator was away, so the writer of the temporary sign at the road works told cyclists to dismount and use the pavement, but in the Welsh version produced using Google warned cyclists that they had a bladder infection.....[Www]