Help with translation please..

NormanH

I usually reckon that I can understand most of what I read, but this reader's comments in the MidiLibre leave me perplexed on the the exact translation of several phrases, although I have a good idea of the general meaning [:D]

I think I need Clair or 5-e...

"J'ai vecu 2 ans sur Beziers pdt mes etudes et je n'ai jamais vu autant

de gens semblant sortir tout droit du moyen age que dans cette ville.

Bcp de jacouille-la-fripouille, de saltimbanques dégénérés, de gueux avinés et enormément de sarrazins.

Cette ville est un zoo à ciel ouvert."

The context was this article: ( I was there at the time [:-))] )

http://www.midilibre.fr/2012/04/27/violente-bagarre-aux-halles-hier-matin,492652.php

Have you seen Les Visiteurs? (Quite entertaining, but a lousy sound track). Jacouille was played by Christian Clavier and was Seigneurs serf, disgusting and ignorant. Aren't the Saltimbanques the lower echelons of society? Les Gueux avines,again what some would consider drunken scum?

Apparently this person thought that Bezier was full of drunks and scum bags. Bit harsh, I would say.

[quote user="NormanH"]Bcp de jacouille-la-fripouille, de saltimbanques dégénérés, de gueux avinés et enormément de sarrazins.[/quote]

jacouille-la-fripouille: as per idun above.

saltimbanques: (someone who sells remedies on the street) = drug dealers

gueux avinés: drunken beggars

sarrazins: Arabs/Muslims

All terms are very derogatory, in a rather entertaining turn of phrase! This sounds like this chap really enjoyed his time in Béziers! [:D]

[quote user="idun"]Thanks Clair, I had thought that saltimbanques were just groups of 'poor' people, living on the edge of society rather than dealers, or potions or illegal drugs.[/quote]

saltinbanque

The term has several meanings, though I would not have used it to describe poor people living on the fringes of society.

It can mean travelling street entertainers, or members of a small travelling circus.

Just arrived, so glad Clair already did the job!

I might beg to differ a bit on saltimbanques - although the meanings as above are correct, I have usually heard it to describe gypsies - which would make sense, when you look at the general feel of the list...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="NormanH"]Bcp de jacouille-la-fripouille, de saltimbanques dégénérés, de gueux avinés et enormément de sarrazins.[/quote]

jacouille-la-fripouille: as per idun above.

saltimbanques: (someone who sells remedies on the street) = drug dealers

gueux avinés: drunken beggars

sarrazins: Arabs/Muslims

All terms are very derogatory, in a rather entertaining turn of phrase! This sounds like this chap really enjoyed his time in Béziers! [:D]
[/quote]

jacouille-la-fripouille....Agreed

Saltimbanques........Street entertainers in those days and same meaning today and in Norman's question. Don't agree with them selling medecines in the streets....sorry Clair nor being Gypsies...sorry 5-elements.

Gueux avines.......Agreed

Sarrazins......The name given to Muslims warriors (in medieval times) who invaded Spain and Southern France in 700AD. They were famously stopped and defeated in/around Poitiers by Charles Martel....or so were we told at school.