In a crowd

idun

Which french word to you use when you want to get past someone in a crowd, or a supermarket etc.

Very curious, I know what I would say, but heard someone saying something I would not say yesterday, and they kept saying it.

[quote user="idun"]

Which french word to you use when you want to get past someone in a crowd, or a supermarket etc.

Very curious, I know what I would say, but heard someone saying something I would not say yesterday, and they kept saying it.

[/quote]

Excuse me, do you mind moving your bahookie

My French has gradually evolved over time according to the degree of uncomprehension shown on the faces of the recipients.

I think I started with "je peux vous doubler?" which definitely resulted in some funny looks and now say "Puis-je vous passer monsieur/madame?".

In hindsight the confusion generated by the earlier attempts was good as I would take advantage of their confusion [:)] More times than not now my request is refused often impolitely.

What did you hear and was it by a native French speaker?

When i was a gel, working i n Paris and riding a mad ex-racehorse along the " allees cavalieres" in the Bois de Boulogne before going to the office, there was a definite code to overtaking another horse and rider. You could not just thunder past; you had to slow right down and say "Vous permettez, monsieur/madame?", and then wait for the other to reply " Je vous en prie, madame".

Might be viewed as a bit OTT behaviour in a supermarket though...

Angela

LOL NormanH, I'm wondering what I'd do if someone said that to me. I'm not a small lady, so reckon that I would ignore them and probably stand my ground.

I say 'pardon', normal, in my old region. If someone didn't hear, then I'd flower it up and say more......... but not bouges ton Q!

I called an english friend who was in a very big crowd and wanted to pass me to someone else on the phone who was quite some distance. They kept saying very precisely 'excusez-moi, s'il vous plait' and kept saying it and saying it........... it wasn't as if they were being impolite, just seemed OTT in the circumstances.

'Pardon'. It's about the first word I learnt in french. And then I went back to England a few weeks later and found my self saying it there. And it has worked everywhere in France.

And yet, I have found in my travels in France that people have their own little expressions. ie when they are asking if I wanted something else in a shop, where I lived, it was always 'ça, c'est tout', but even a couple of hours drive away, they say something slightly different, and I cannot remember what it is.

I find that initially we first start using phrases that were either (wrongly) learned at school or translations of the English phrase, if it gets the desired effect it just becomes part of our vocabulary, often so ingrained that its quite difficult to change when we finally appreciate the correct common useage phrase.

No, I wasn't in Asda buying Merguez. In fact I haven't bought any yet, as I have a few packets of Tescos chorizo chipolatas in.

What we intially learn that is wrong?well some things can be, but the very basics sometimes are not. Later I just learn how to write them properly or that they are one word or three and not the two I thought, helps when I've tried to look them up.  Sometimes they are just part of the local argot and have to be accepted as such.