Chez le médecin

allanb

I've lived in France long enough to know what a soutien-gorge is, but I have always believed that that was an exceptional meaning and that la gorge normally means the throat.

However, I recently found a description of a woman with une gorge énorme qui saillit sous sa robe.  Obviously this doesn't refer to her throat, but it was written in the 1870s (Maupassant), so the meaning may have changed.  My dictionary mentions both meanings but doesn't really clarify anything.

This is not a trivial question; I've been talking to people learning French – some of whom are female – about things you might need to say to a doctor, and I've told them among other things that j'ai mal à la gorge simply means that you have a sore throat, just as you might say j'ai mal à l'épaule or j'ai mal au genou.  Was this safe advice?

[quote user="allanb"]

However, I recently found a description of a woman with une gorge énorme qui saillit sous sa robe.  Obviously this doesn't refer to her throat, but it was written in the 1870s (Maupassant), so the meaning may have changed.  My dictionary mentions both meanings but doesn't really clarify anything.

[/quote]

Gorge also means gorge in the English sense (vallée défilé) so it was a very good description for the cleavage surging from under the robe [:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]As long as it wasn't la gorge profonde  [6]

Seriously I think that gorge in the Maupassant would best be translated as 'cleavage'
[/quote]

In this Maupassant bit, gorge means breasts as the breasts are showing up through the fabric.  (cleavage would be translated as decolette).

[quote user="NormanH"]Your eyes are obviously not popping out of your head Judith.

Does this mean the second eye operation has been done?

[/quote]

Norman,

Thanks for asking - I meant to post the news on the previous thread, but it has been very active here - looking for new hobs and ovens etc.

Yes, second eye a week yesterday - and seems to have settled very well, better than the first (which I rubbed accidentally, unfortunately).

Gone from -12/-15 to about -1 in both eyes - no longer totally dependent on glasses, though it is clear I will need glasses for small print and for the focussing for driving   .... but wow!!!!!

I've been given "permission" to start driving again - even before the new glasses are with me, but carefully - for I cannot be any worse now than I was before the op.

So off tomorrow for my first (short) foray to the shops - what a pleasure to go shopping without OH saying, haven't we got everything yet?

Sorry to go OP - so back to cleavages - never had one really, so I wouldn't know the word, now would I ?   :)

[quote user="allanb"]As a long-time observer of these things, I have to say that I agree with ericd.  It's the breasts that exert pressure on the dress; the cleavage is merely the space between them.

[/quote]

I am sure he is right, but the cleavage is more like a gorge and the breasts like the hills above...

Perhaps 'ample bosom' would be the appropriate English cliché?