Pig

idun

[quote user="idun"] [Www]............ yup, I have, and I am now very curious about this pronunciation.

[/quote]

Me too as I was sunk in misery and OH said to come and see Languedoc-Rousillon and so I did.

I thought about pig too as I sometimes play in the summer but I have never heard it pronounced the way the man said it.

But what always grates is the way TV folk (sports commenters and house programme fluffy types) say "Montpellier" and now this woman has added "Péret."

[quote user="idun"]How does one say pig in french in the Languedoc-Roussillon, please write it phonetically, I would dearly love to know.

[/quote]

This is fascinating - what was the actual word/phrase used?

Our son was on the phone earlier, wishing my husband a happy birthday (we've been away for the weekend and had just got in, so no TV was on) - our son said there was a variation of his name on TV (he's called Peter), but no mention of pigs or other interesting things - please enlighten me![:D]

We always called the little ball the cochonnet, ko shonnay.

I have no idea what it is called in other parts of France, but the little ball being a 'pig', well, never ever heard it said like that, but until someone who lives in the LR tells me how they say it, I shall reserve judgement.[:-))]

Yes, id, but considering that they are speaking to hundreds of thousands of viewers, you' think they'd make some distinction between the grave and the acute accents.

Yes, sometimes we call it the cochon and sometimes the cochonnet.

GG, the man said the first syllable like "cou" rather than "co" and I don't know how they say it down there either as I have never been there.

I watched most of the programme but didn't notice that word.

Here they use the word "cochonnerie" for any old rubbish and they pronounce it co-shon-ery with emphsasis on the shon, co with a short o sound.

Ah yes, cochonnerie, what a useful word........... for junk food including sweeties to rubbish at a braderie, etc etc.

This morning I tried to find something on youtube where a farmer from the SW was saying something about 'cochons' and when I couldn't I tried chefs talking about SW cooking, but the ones I found all spoke 'normal' french[Www]