Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

mint

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......If the questions keep coming as do the replies, I would say that the thread is surely "courant"?

mint ...... the thread would be feminine therefore courant would take an "e".

Hence the need for this thread to continue as help to French speakers (or those attempting to .... ;-) )

No I am not a totally "fluent" french speaker - as are probably lots of French people - Occitan is a language in its own right.

There are other sites that do help and have a better reference system.

This tread, as said before, is not referenced and not useful in the long term.

If there are other people wishing to ask questions, then can I suggest that they start a new thread and answers are kept to that topic or amusing anecdotes around that topic.

I'd be interested in the views of people on that suggestion.

[quote user="ericd"]......If the questions keep coming as do the replies, I would say that the thread is surely "courant"?

mint ...... the thread would be feminine therefore courant would take an "e".

Hence the need for this thread to continue as help to French speakers (or those attempting to .... ;-) )[/quote]

Mais, non, Eric!  I take "thread" to be le fil Et donc, masculin?

[quote user="ericd"]Is this thread past its sell by date?

Would this phrase (in english) not be better rephrased as " Has this thread past its sell by date??"[/quote]

Actually, no, Eric, richard51 is correct in this instance.

You would have to write:  Has this thread passed its sell-by date?

As in, did he pass O-level French?  Yes, he has passed that exam!

What was needed was the past participle.  "Past" is an adverb.  Eg, he walked past without even noticing what was there. 

Richard, back to you.  No, I do not agree about starting new threads all the time.  This thread only sounds disjointed to you because you haven't been following it.  It's not simply about learning new French words or expressions.  Mostly, what is discussed here is about the subtler meanings of both words and expressions and how a French person (such as Eric) would take the word to mean.  After all, I could always look up the dictionary meaning but I think I'd miss out on a lot of the nuances to be understood and enjoyed.

If, as you say, there are lots of other forums from which you can learn French, then there is nothing to stop you going to learn French elsewhere.

As it happens, this thread has served me very well and I rather enjoy the way it goes off here and there (thread drift to you) and you end up in unexpected and charming (or horrifying) places.

It's been an enjoyable exploration of both language and culture for me and I have had an incomparable and most patient guide in Eric, amongst others.

Loiseau, I was thinking and writing about how to explain"pass" and "past" to Eric when you got there, with your quick thinking, well before my more cumbersome thought processes could enable me to give my explanation.  Apologies..........

L'oiseau/mint ..... of course ..... I should have picked that one up. Thanks.

Norman. Un attroupement consequent just means that more people found themselves together at the same time (they were just lookers on). This doesn't mean they didn't have peaceful intentions.

I suppose it's like "a spontaneous crowd"?

As always, I have a fascination with how the French has an adjective for the inhabitants of a town or village so I was delighted to add biterrois to my list!  Merci, Norman.

Eric, you haven't said whether retrouvailles is ALWAYS in the plural?

Helpful as always, thanks, Eric.

Retrouvailles was totally unknown to me until yesterday when I received an email from a friend who had been away for the funeral of her mother.  She said they had les retrouvailles where she saw her brother with whom she'd lost contact for a couple of decades.

Tough if people think this thread is "past its sell-by" date, is too long, you can't find anything in it, etc etc etc.

I am choosing this thread to showcase (yeah, suitably OTT word!) a word new to me today.  PLUS I think that the French media must think they know something that perhaps the British media don't!

So here's in the French "news":  La reine a frôlé a la mort.

We could all say that someone of that age is perhaps frôlering with death!  OTOH, did anyone see la à télé the French gentleman of 105 who did some time trial in a velodrome and lifting weights in a gym!

What a fantastic oldie he is!

Going back to "retrouvailles" - I remember that I first learned this word from Christophe's song Les Mots Bleus:

Je lui dirai les mots bleus

Les mots qu'on dit avec les yeux

Toutes les excuses que l'on donne

Sont comme les baisers que l'on vole

Il reste une rancœur subtile

Qui gâcherait l'instant fragile

De nos retrouvailles

De nos retrouvailles

Had our own retrouvailles this afternoon, mais oui!

OH had taken our dog out for one of their regular walks.  I got home from a function and, within minutes, OH rang to say that he had lost the dog!

I jumped in our other car and went to where I knew they would be.  This is an area of dry marshes and we have walked there for years.  Only difference now is that the poor dog is near blind and almost completely deaf and  has dementia.  So no good however hard you holler or whistle, etc as she wouldn't hear you.

Combed the site, split up and did a search. On and on it went.  OH had met with 2 walkers before my arrival and told them what dog to look out for.

When there was little hope left that we'd find her and, as a last resort, we jumped in the car I'd arrive in to drive around the nearest village.  Normally, you'd be lucky to find anyone to ask anything of, especially on a Sunday afternoon but, this afternoon, we struck lucky!

Anyway, we passed this old house in the village and we saw 3 women outside.  I asked them if they'd seen our dog.  Immediately they said, "oui, on l'a trouvée!"  The joy, disbelief and awe were indescribable.  So then, I asked so where is she?  They said oh 2 persons, (one of whom was the owner of the house) have left in the car to look for your grey car, the grey car that is that OH had taken the dog out in.

Anyway, so as not to prolong the story and bore everybody, it turned out that 2 of the women were the very walkers that OH had met and they knew he had a grey car and that he was anglais.

The man had put our dog in his car and gone off in search of "une voiture grise avec un anglais".  To cut a long story short, tout va bien qui finit bien.  We had les grands retrouvailles and our dog has been restored to us.

To think that she is over 13 and would have been in sheer panic and that she had found this household of people très sympa who went in search of her owner and her car!  Not only that, she has had tremendous problems with her back legs and has trouble getting out of her bed and is now often doubly incontinent; it was nothing short of a miracle!

Just had to post that, prolonging the thread unnecessarily or not, off topic or not.  I am after all suffering from post traumatic stress and doggie is at last sleeping off her adventure though not before I had to bath her thoroughly from head to foot and she still smells of manure and the distance she would have covered on her poor old legs would have been in excess of 3 miles!  

• 4 months later...
For anyone following closely the recent French election, I hope you found lots and lots of new words and expressions to learn?

I followed the last election (that of Hollande's) closely too but this time, I know more French and everything is just that much more interesting.........and that wasn't exclusively down to Macron being an interesting man!  Mind you, his photo in our mairie, when it does arrive, will be a great deal more pleasing on the eye than poor old Hollande's.............oops, being shallow here[:)]

Back to the point of my post.  Can I ask whether perron can only be used for "impressive" steps like the ones outside the presidential palace or can you use the word for any old outside steps?  I don't have any steps leading up to my house so I won't be able to use my new mot du jour, but I'd still like to know if the steps have to be imposants before you call them le perron?

For anyone following closely the recent French election, I hope you found lots and lots of new words and expressions to learn?

I followed the last election (that of Hollande's) closely too but this time, I know more French and everything is just that much more interesting.........and that wasn't exclusively down to Macron being an interesting man!  Mind you, his photo in our mairie, when it does arrive, will be a great deal more pleasing on the eye than poor old Hollande's.............oops, being shallow here[:)]

Back to the point of my post.  Can I ask whether perron can only be used for "impressive" steps like the ones outside the presidential palace or can you use the word for any old outside steps?  I don't have any steps leading up to my house so I won't be able to use my new mot du jour, but I'd still like to know if the steps have to be imposants before you call them le perron?