Huguenot Ancestors

Tonyfuller

If anybody using the LF Forum is interested in the general history of the Huguenots (La Reigne Margot) or is working on their family history and they think that they may have Huguenot (French/Dutch/German Calvinist, thousands of refugees to England, Ireland and America in the 16th/17th/early 18th centuries) ancestors, they might want to post on here.

I'm shortly going on the Council of the Huguenot Society of GB and Ireland (it's a research speciality of mine, have Huguenot ancestors from the Languedoc) and, if you need help, I may be able to steer you in the right direction with your research or do the odd free look-up for you.

Tony Fuller

I have been trying to research my family tree and have got stuck right at the beginning being unable to track down any of my grandparents birth certificates! I know that there are links to France on my mothers side but via Mauritius and South Africa and Mauritius on my fathers side. Any hints on how to break the deadlock would be most gratefully received.

We lived for many years in South Africa. Very many of the integrated surnames are of Huguenot origin. There is a delightful memorial outside Cape Town in a village called Franschhoek to these settlers. The telephone books in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban are full of French names.