Titles on book spines

Brian

Just an idle observation.

I have a mixture of books on my shelf - mainly tourist or beer related - but why is it that with books published in English one has to lean your head to the right to read the title on the spine whereas those in French you have to lean your head to the left? Should there not be a European standard!

Brian (with tongue in cheek)

Same with knickers too I'm afraid, the labels are on different sides. How many times I have put them on back to front, half asleep on a morning, and it doesn't help having pairs from both countries.

So many things all so different, there isn't a decimal point in France it is a decimal comma.....

"I think you need counselling to get over this"

Brian, may we split the cost for the shrink for I need this too!  An excellent observation, it's something that drives me crazy.  To avoid permanent injury to my already dodgy neck I place mine upside down, back-to-front so the spine titles are in line with those in English but obviously it's upside down when you take it off the shelf.  Don't like that either but have to live with it.

Whilst on the subject, why are so many French paperbacks published with blotting paper like covers that scuff and get marked so easily.  Yet another of my pet irritations...  M

It could be - but so do the Italian and Spanish and my Italian and Spanish books are the same way round as the English ones, as is my Italian video of 1492 (never watched). So it's just the French who are being "special" as in "difficile".

When you record a video yourself though, do you think which way to slap the label on - I don't - mine vary.