Carol Drinkwater mark 3

Russethouse

Bill,

Talking of TV plays, do you (or anyone else) remember the wonderfully funny (well me & Tina thought so anyway !) TV showing of Deadly Summer with Pauline Quirk, Francesca Annis and Bob Peck and others (including the superbly played Regis !)

Set in the south west of France, it was a hilarious send up of English second home owners and their attirude etc.

If you haven't beg borrow or steal a copy.

Margaret,

When I said "original" it was in the sense that the formula is (was) an original idea, not original to Peter Mayle. We have read at least 3 of Lady Fortescue's books on her life, both sad and wonderful, in Provence. When we were buying our first place in Provence, apart from her books there was very little else to read and to possibly help us to learn about the beautiful region. Although of course, her house(s) were further south  than us, in what would be far too expensive a region now, for many.

Greetings to all avid French book readers!

I agree with most other readers of Carol Drinkwater's books. My wife read the first two, but I, a mere man, gave up before half way through the first one.I had one of my yawning attacks! But as stated there are books and there are books, but the ones that we have really enjoyed were written by Susie Kelly.

The titles of which are ' Best foot forward' and 'Two steps backward' The first tells of her heroic walk from La Rochelle to Geneva and the second is all about her arrival in France and converting a ruin into a habital property, complete with her menagerie of pets!

We both found them very interesting and uplifting! Try them!

I have just finished reading the first two Carol Drinkwater books in a single volume. I found them a reasonable read but I dont think they were books on France and maybe thats where people are finding fault. They were autobiographies of her life centred around her house which could have been anywhere, it had an italian feel to it in parts. I agree halfway through the second volume it started getting a bit much. How much of Carol Drinkwater's lefe can one person take.

A nice easy read but no good for anyone wanting to read about living the dream in france or the french way of life.

Bob

I have just finished reading the first two Carol Drinkwater books in a single volume. I found them a reasonable read but I dont think they were books on France and maybe thats where people are finding fault. They were autobiographies of her life centred around her house which could have been anywhere, it had an italian feel to it in parts. I agree halfway through the second volume it started getting a bit much. How much of Carol Drinkwater's life can one person take.

A nice easy read but no good for anyone wanting to read about living the dream in france or the french way of life.

Bob