Shoes and Boots

Teamedup

When I first arrived here the shoe styles were noticeably different to those of England. 

When our first winter came, I found that the shops were full of and women and girls were wearing funny little ankle boots that sort of looked medieval to me, only without the pointy toes. I got to quite like these little boots and over the years have bought several pairs, loving Arche and another super soft make, bliss they have been. They were one of these eternal classic sort of things really and for all I seem to remember them being worn for a couple of seasons in the UK, they came into fashion and went there.

So to my surprise there are few of these little boots to be had this year. In fact having just returned from the UK, the boots in both countries seem to have very similar boot styles at the moment. Have I come to the end of an era, I'll really be sorry to see the soft little ankle boots go.

I've been browsing ebay for ski wear and on the English site, I typed in "snow boots" and up popped lots of little ankle boots, moon boots and furry (yeti) boots advertised as fashion accessories to wear with turned up jeans or mini skirts so you may be in luck TU!!

regards......helen

So to my surprise there are few of these little boots to be had this year. In fact having just returned from the UK, the boots in both countries seem to have very similar boot styles at the moment. Have I come to the end of an era, I'll really be sorry to see the soft little ankle boots go.

I suspect that this may be a consequence of the flight of manufacturing from rich western to poorer Third World countries. Shoes made by the million in Indonesian sweatshops for peanuts. Economies of scale mean fewer designs or less willingness to cater for small quantity variations.

[quote]When I first arrived here the shoe styles were noticeably different to those of England. When our first winter came, I found that the shops were full of and women and girls were wearing funny little...[/quote]

Teamedup, I'm very glad that you have mentioned the name "arche'. Recently I purchased a pair of 'arche' shoes in nubuck and they are wonderfully comfortable and what's more the design ain't 'arf bad too. This company has a shop in Bordeaux, which is where I purchased mine.

If you look at the website, www.arche-shoes.com, you will see that they are currently constructing the European site but if you do a search you can view some recent styles selling in America.

The shop in Bordeaux does have some little boots. One design has fur in them and the other has a cuff. I lust after their shoes and boots and consequently will buy no other make from now on. Funds allowing that is.

No, you haven't come to the end of an era. They sell traditional designs and fairly radical ones too. So the choice is there. They are also guaranted for one year.

Never knew this company existed until living in France. Like you I also wanted to find a shoe that was soft but without the frumpy look that frequently goes with this type of shoe.

Just looked at the site, it was the biche, nay and nonedon styles that I usually buy. Those on the site are from last winter's catalogue. These styles have been made in other makes and available in many shops since I arrived here, as for all I love arche, I have sometimes bought other makes.  My local arche shop has closed now and will have to go to Grenoble to buy some. They didn't have any winter boots in the last time I went, which is not very often.

I would recommend arche sandals for summer to everyone, they are bliss.

And another recommendation is Tana, shoe polish and nubuck spray. The polish brings up even old shoes like new. Put it on, leave it and then a good brush or rub with a cloth and voila, gives leather a wonderful look. The sprays have kept my nubuck looking good for years.

When we first moved here I treated? my wife to a pair of Rigger boots and she said they were the most comfortable pieces of footwear she had worn.

For those of you not familiar with this type of fashion they are the sort that scaffolders wear, they have little loops either side of the uppers, are yellowish in colour and have steel toe caps.

Sometimes I think I spoil her.

Weedon(53)

[quote]Weedon - has she worn through the leather on the toes to expose the metal yet? If not she isn't working hard enough...[/quote]

Just had a look at both pairs and notice that mine are wearing at the toes but I am not sure how that happened?

Belinda, its nice to know that you have noticed my individuality. I must say that my 12 year old shorts to complete the outfit have not stood up to the stresses and strains and I am considering taking them back to complain of the shoddy workmanship.

Weedon(53)

[quote]Just had a look at both pairs and notice that mine are wearing at the toes but I am not sure how that happened? Belinda, its nice to know that you have noticed my individuality. I must say that my 12...[/quote]

I must say that my 12 year old shorts to complete the outfit have not stood up to the stresses and strains and I am considering taking them back to complain of the shoddy workmanship.

Yes, but doesn't that 'hair' shirt you insist on wearing tickle just a little.