Le plus grand Français de tous les temps?

SaligoBay

Here's the Top 10 in alphabetical order (winner to be decided in a future program, bet you can't wait!), you can find the rest on this website:  http://fr.news.yahoo.com/050314/5/4bc89.html

- Abbé Pierre

- Bourvil

- Coluche

- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

- Marie Curie

- Charles de Gaulle

- Victor Hugo

- Molière

- Louis Pasteur

- Edith Piaf

Lots of showbiz names mixed in with the classics, like Cloclo and Joan of Arc both in the top 30.  The program was okay when it was listing the people, you got a little bit of info about each one and where they fitted into French history, but after each 10 they had that awful cringey chat stuff that leaves you reaching for either the zapper, the sick bucket, or both! 

Enlighten this ignoramus, SB, everyone else I know, obviously, but who are Bourvil and Coluche?  Any idea where Emile Zola (the writer, Miki dear!) was? 

"that awful cringey chat stuff"

The worst bits of French chat shows are the strategically placed nitwits in the audience, always gorgeous looking and beautifully dressed, who have obviously been told that if they don't smile ALL THE TIME, irrespective of what's being discussed, something quite appalling will happen to them and their families.  I watched something last week and an attractive brunette in the front row grinned like an imbecile even when the chap being interviewed was talking about his mother's death!  Do you think their ears are disengaged from the facial features when they appear on these shows?  And it's the same on the highbrow debates and the book review shows, there they are in the front row, pretty, smiling bimbos grinning as though their lives depend upon it.  What is the point of these people?

M

[quote]He had breakfast here this morning, but I'm not sure where he went after that. Why do you ask?[/quote]

Well he said he was popping around here for pet déj.  "when the swallows follow the troller and all that "

Abbé Pierre said after he was given the number one of all time in one of the last bestest persons lists due to his endless work for the poor and needy, that wished to be taken off such lists in future. Looks like they have ignored him then.

Bourvil was in a film called La Grande Vadrouille which was the most successful film in French cinema history until Titanic (Spoiler - it sinks .... eventually). The great thing about La grande V... was that it starred Terry-Thomas, but he isn't French and therefore could not go onto the list. But then, Marie Curie was Polish wasn't she? If she was naturalised then it would be like Lloyd Grossman appearing on a UK list?

What I want to know is where was Fernandel?

I read in the TV magazine that this was taken from the BBC programme.  However, the French obviously have shorter memories than the Brits.  As far as I can remember, apart from Princess Di and Churchill, most of our others were further back in history, but the French top ten seems to be much more recent, and showbizzy!

La Grande Vadrouille which was the most successful film in French cinema history until Titanic

I didn't know that.  And, even if it wasn't, I'd watch anything with Terry-Thomas in it.  What was his catch phrase, "you're an absolute shar"?  Shower or no shower, I think he's marvellous.  Anyone else have "The Green Man" in their top ten all time favourite films?  M