Les Miserables

Russethouse

'Les Miserables' has been voted Britains favorite musical - amazing !! But then I'm a 'King & I' girl myself.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4733061.stm

1. Les Miserables

2. The Phantom of the Opera

3. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

4. The King and I

5. Sunset Boulevard

6. Evita

7. Chess

8. The Rocky Horror Show

9. Follies

10. Hair

[quote]'Les Miserables' has been voted Britains favorite musical - amazing !! But then I'm a 'King & I' girl myself.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4733061.stm1. Les Miserables2. The Phanto...[/quote]

Can't think why the miserables would be voted the best musical...

A musical to me is something like 'Oklahoma' or 'Singing in the rain' or 'King and I' or 'An American in Paris'. Doesn't half show my age... Something jolly with nice catchy tunes to repeat in the shower! and dance routines when pushing around the hoover! That's my aerobics done for the day...

But the miserables!!! It ain't called that for nothing!

I hated the book when I had to study it in 6eme/5eme (SO long ago!!) Cosette and all that was too grim for words. Most miserable piece of writing I ever had the displeasure to read. I can't imagine Bleak House or Little Doritt made into a musical...'Weathuring Heights' (aka Heathcliff of Sir Cliff's fame) was bad enough.....

Some sad people out there... voting for themselves to cheer themselves up!!??...

;¬) !!

I saw it in Bristol, I admit in the Gods, with hard wooden seats, and it felt like about 5 hours long, but I'm sure it wasn't.   I was bored witless and was looking at my watch every five mins.  Give me Phantom any time, or oldies like South Pacific, Oklahoma, Sound of Music etc.  They ARE musicals, not miserables.