Use of Lavoirs ?

Hoddy

When I first started to visit France the use of lavoirs was widespread. It was still a fairly common sight to see a group of women doing their washing together. Their use appears to have dimished to almost nothing although I did see a man using one a couple of years ago to wash his , presumably filthy, jeans before he was allowed to take them into the house.

This morning I noticed a woman doing her washing in our local lavoir just as they used to, the only difference being that she was alone. Are they still in use your area ?

Hoddy

Hi

I show visitors the lavoir in our village.

It is still in use by a couple of rather elderly local ladies, and some residents secondaires who don't have a washing machine.

Don't have a pic of ours, but here is one in a nearby village :

Peter

Lavoirs may look very romantic and quaint but they do have a use in time of drought.

You use them to save yourself some water from the many baskets of laundry in your household during a 'normal' week, as you may have suffered some municipal cuts on your water supply.

Granted it is not easy to wash large sheets in the running cold water with some 'savon de Marseilles' (lavender is the nicest!) but better that than waiting for the pile to grow and fester.

For those of you who live near Périgné in 79, the lavoir is by the entrance of the village, along the road from Niort/Prahecq. Just over the bridge and 1st turn left (if my memory serves me right)

Another lavoir I know is in St Romans-lès-Melle (also 79) Same side of the road as the roman church. Many time I fell into this lavoir helping my grand-mother with her washing whilst on holiday with her. My grand-parents lived in the house opposite the church on the otherside of the road which used to be the priest's house.

Perhaps the statue of the Virgin Mary is still in the little grotto next to it or up on the cliff above the garages/sheds? Maybe it's all changed as no doubts the house will have been bought and sold a few many times...Not been in that area for nearly 10years!! Is the lavoir all over grown as I saw it that last time?...

BIG siigggHHHH!!!!!! A la recherche du temps perdu!!!

Certainly lost in my case! :-D !!!

Women still use the lavoir in the neighbouring small town to us and you should see their poor red arms and hands in the winter. It makes me laugh because they turn up in brand new cars and some I know live in new houses and ultimately have washing machines. I tend to think its a dirt thing whereby agricultural clothing is washed there first. The lavoir is also used by people nicking the water to wash their cars, cheeky blighters as they park on the road which is a main thoroughfare to do it and I also saw a local farmer filling up his bowser with the aid of a pump too.  Our village lavoirs are restored now thanks to the children on the junior council,one has goldfish in it and the other the usual green duckweed but the stones and construction where the springs come through are looking nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Never seen any of the ones round our way (71) being used, I'll have to be more observant. They are used however, for art exhibitions and other interesting functions every so often. They even organise a lavoir crawl one weekend in May where many of the local lavoirs have a special events going on and you move from one to the other.

Sue