Weddings and Christenings

Purdey

We have been invited to a wedding in France which is a 2nd marriage, certainly for the bride and we are anxious to do the right thing, particularly regarding gifts. By co-incidence, we have also been invited to a christening. Is there a traditional gift one gives to the child eg money? We would welcome any advice.

I'd like to know about christenings too - we've got one coming up shortly.  I bought the baby a little fluffy elephant when he was born (about 9 inches long and 5 euros from Champion) and I was quite taken aback at how absolutely ecstatic the parents were and they kept on and on and on about how kind it was of us.  I noticed that he didn't seem to have any other gifts from much closer friends, so I don't want to go over the top with the christening!

Hi, in 2002 we were invited to the daughter of our neighbours wedding. We didn't know the SP either so decided to take a present, we gave them a couple of crystal champagne glasses and said they could celebrate the arrival of the first child .. she wasn't pregnant at the time but we knew they were planning a family. They were delighted. However, on the day it transpired that they didn't have a liste de marriage and family and friends were playing games which resulted in cash gifts. So, all I can recommend is to give whatever you think is appropriate or ask them if they have a liste de marriage at a shop .. the first child promptly arrived 10 months later!

PS. enjoy the day, we had a fantastic time, up until 4am .. much drinking, eating and dancing.

Steph

www.pwb53.com

For christenings there are specific gifts, like bracelets, cups and so on, often in silver.  But I think these are often bought by the godparents.  For weddings, check they don't have a list, they may well do, but if not, money is seen as an acceptable gift (more here I think than in the UK).  Certainly that was what we got from the French side when we got married.

I've got a question related to this. When there is a Christening, do they give you any notice, I mean more than a few days? I dread finding a 'notice' in my letterbox only to find the Christening was 3 days ago.

I ask because there is a spring of fecundity, or so it seems, round our way at the moment.

But also, sadly,  because we have missed several funerals. Our 'neighbours' are dropping like flies, but they were all over 90.  Some of them were people we were very friendly with, but we didn't know their relatives really, and so didn't find out until it was too late. When I say Neighbours, I mean people who lived within a mile of us, who we knew.

A great deal of embarrassment ensued and I'd rather not go through any more.

For Christenings, we have always been invited at least a month and sometimes several months in advance.   For funerals, we get a death notice in our letterbox, but maybe this doesn't happen in larger places.

Re Christening gifts, the best appreciated one we have ever given was a small child's chair.  Otherwise silver eggs cups, spoons etc

Thanks Opalienne re/ notification for Christenings and best received gift. Do you mean a chair for a toddler, a small wooden chair for instance?

We get the death notifications alright, it's just that a spate of people died, and until it happens - let's face it, it's not top of the check list 'what happens when a neighbour dies - you don't know how quickly buirals take place here.

We've had that problem Tresco, where neighbours are dropping like flies.  It's so sad just when you get to know people, and it's all within the same area.  Also our neighbour's mother died and he has to sell his house as it was hers.  I should think because of the inheritance laws, many houses come onto the market for that reason. My french friend is getting married at the local Mairie and I will just choose something for the house, can't think it will be a problem, just like the UK now, many second marriages don't bother with lists and many people live together beforehand, so have everything anyhow.

Sorry the header was weddings and christenings, how did we get onto funerals?

Georgina

[quote user="Tresco"]

Thanks Opalienne re/ notification for Christenings and best received gift. Do you mean a chair for a toddler, a small wooden chair for instance?

[/quote]

It was actually a small upholstered armchair, suitable for a 1-4 year old.  It's still being used even if the little girl is now 7 and has to squeeze herself into it!

[quote user="Tourangelle"]For christenings there are specific gifts, like bracelets, cups and so on, often in silver.  But I think these are often bought by the godparents.  For weddings, check they don't have a list, they may well do, but if not, money is seen as an acceptable gift (more here I think than in the UK).  Certainly that was what we got from the French side when we got married.[/quote]

When my 2 were born, my family in France clubbed together and opened up a savings accounts for them. Every Xmas or b'days a little is added. Now in their 20's my kids use these accounts as holiday money as and when they are in France.

My father (in France) planted a tree for each of his other none british grandchildren in his garden and is planning to put swings on each from one of their branches, possibly build a small tree house too, as and when the trees will be strong enough, for his grandchildren to have fun when on holiday.

I have heard of people giving as christening present a tree to plant. Otherwise it is the usual of silver gifts (bracelets with name, tumblers, spoon and fork sets, babyrattle, earrings for little girls or small necklaces) and/or money. 

Weddings is a bit more difficult. You have to find out what they have and/or don't have yet, if a wedding list... 2nd or ?th mariage... Best a little gift of money in a nice card and it's up to the happy couple to decide...