Septic Tank Inspection

susieC

We are 2 weeks away from completing on our sale and we have had a letter saying we have to have our Septic drainage  inspected from Communaute de Communes  We have never had an inspection before and never had any problems with the 'fosse septique' either. Will this affect our sale/buyers? If there is a problem found, can they alter the price or walk away? We told the Immobilier that we had never had an inspection but we didn't have any problems and he seemed happy at that.?

Where are you located, it has been a prerequisite of sale in many departments that your fosse is inspected and the outcome known to the buyer, this should have been bought up at the signing of the compromis stage as you have to list things (last inspection date etc) about the fosse on this document.

Presumably the documentation was filled in as "no inspection to date".

I would think that as long as the inspection doesn't show any immediate malfunctions rather than noting " improvements required", then there shouldn't be a problem. However if immediate and evident problems were reported then the purchaser could claim that there had been an attempt to hide known defects.

My last (and so far only) emptying was also €100.  Also be prepared for your neighbours (lots of them) to come and have a nose around when it's done.  I suppose that's what passes for entertainment in my out-of-the-way village [:D]

If I had sold tickets and provided a BBQ I reckon it could have paid for itself!

Euuuwwwww, I hate it also when the lovely man that does mine comes to shake my hand when he's finished!  I know he's washed them but even so!

My neighbour also turned up, he said we should have just got the farmer next door to do it instead of the registered contractor (it's illegal but hey ho), we then could have seen him spread it on the field behind the house, nice!

• 2 weeks later...
We had all the paperwork to say house inspected and passed before sale. Me thinks inspector had a white stick or possibly a dog with him. Old fosse, disconnected but full of ... well , in the house. all but one bathroom sink and five loos emptied into ditch outside.. kitchen sink, washing machine, three occupied apartments with sinks and bathrooms, five sinks and showers from B&B bedrooms upstairs... all into ditch, and he said it was OK !!