built a house, just moved in - hosting an apero - etiquette?!

swissmiss

A couple of days ago we moved into our new-build house in haute savoie. In a couple of weeks it will basically be finished and the first people we want to invite round are our immediate and close neighbours for an apero. (They are all from the same family, and we bought the land from one of the brothers, so we have to keep on their good side, although they are all extremely pleasant) I speak fluent french, my OH gets by. We want to show our appreciation for their patience with noise, constant stream of builders, vans etc over the last 18 months. I'd like to navigate the minefield of french etiquette on these occasions, so, some questions!

1) do I keep the apero quite formal and short with drinks and snacks or do a bbq? 

2) is it nice to choose local stuff (wine etc) or will that look unsophisticated?

3) the house has been a talking point because it took so long and we're the only new people since a while. Do we give them a tour or is it none of their business?! Most of them have alread nosed round it anyway when we haven't been there!!

I know I wouldn't stress these things in England, but I want to get off to a good start and not offend anyone or make big faux pas!

any input appreciated...

In my opinion and based on aperos I have been to at French friends and neighbours.  Keep it simple with nibbles and snacks such as crisps, the little snack biscuits you can buy, maybe ritz crackers with a little cream cheese and a walnut on top, crackers with pate - that sort of thing.  A BBQ constitues a meal and depending on the timing of your apero ie midday or evening, your visitors may have eaten.  As for the timing, 1 to 2 hours is fine but you dont have to throw them out, just play it by ear, so make sure you have plenty to drink, they might still be there hours later (longest I have known was 4 hours).

Local stuff is good, do you mean drinks.  The French like Whiskey, Pastis, Martini (red or white) and fruit juice.  I have never yet been offered wine.

We have always been told that the French do not show you around.  BUT - Our new neighbour showed everyone around and the neighbours confessed they had always wanted to have a look around this particular house.  When we visited French friends who have just moved they showed us around their house.  The French are just as nosey as us Brits.  Have a lovely time.

In our area, "aperos" usually mean what in the US we are called "heavy hors-d'eauvres": more than simple nibbles, but predominantly finger food, would probably include some charcuterie (sausages and pates), quiches, etc.

Most of our friends and neighbors would offer a variety of aperitifs (pastis, kir, whisky, etc.) but some offer only aperitif vins that they have made (i.e., flavored) themselves.  Sometimes, when it's a celebration they only offer champagne or a nice cremant.

What have you been served when you went for aperos?

I'm with TW on this!  We did a new build, and asked the neighbours round for a house-warming too.
I did lots of different things, from smoked salmon on "toasts" to tiny baked potatoes, via chicken drumsticks wrapped in bacon, some hard-boiled eggs mimosa, and bits of celery stuffed with cream cheese.  Don't forget they will all think that the "English can't cook", and it is up to you to show them otherwise! 

They all stayed hours longer than I expected.  (In fact I think they were a bit disappointed there was no dancing!)

Oh yes, and they were all dying to see round the house!

Angela

My moving-in bash is already in the planning stage, even though its many months away yet.

I hope that by next spring it will have eased off with the rain a bit, so it will be awnings in the garden under which I shall do the English party-grub spread of sausage rolls, cheddar & pineapple on sticks, sticky chicken wings etc (all made by ME and not Iceland!), plus the usual French aperos as well.   The french agent who helped with our buying process suggested that we could always have something NEW for France and host a Bonfire Party on Nov.5th with fireworks etc - not sure how that would go down though seeing as it was catholics versus c of e, but its a reason to party non?? [:D]

[quote user="swissmiss"]

I know I wouldn't stress these things in England, but I want to get off to a good start and not offend anyone or make big faux pas!

[/quote]

Where we are - southern Morbihan - apéritif dinatoire seems to be the most common form of having a drink with nibbles. The food is a complete mixture from nuts, tiny apéritif tomatoes in a bowl, radishes cut in a fancy fashion through to small portions of quiche, boudin, mini pizzas, prunes wrapped with bacon, prunes stuffed with creamy cheese mix, slices of small spicey sausage etc. All this eaten whilst seated, sometimes at a table - though usually not - taken from plates handed round from person to person, no individual plates. Drink can be rum punch, whiskey, pastis, gin and tonic, kir - white wine with cassis or mure, champagne - even occasionally a wine. It can go on for 2 - 4 hours as previously said.

Sue