hunting - then integration?

odile

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="odile"]Thanks Jacqui - definitely not a townie - i was born and bred in the countryside, in the Swiss Jura mountains, where, than goodness, hunting is NOT ruling the countryside. i know YOU didn't mean any offence, but I get so cross when anybody who does not like hunting, or at least the vilest forms, like badger baiting or lamping- is derided as a townie. Many of my born and bred friends in East Leicestershire are constantly intimidated by the Hunts on their land- oops sorry about the cat, or shouted at, insulted, if they walk their dog and  try to drive to the next villag,etc. We wanted to go and live in the  countryside here in the Midlands, but didn't as we knew we wouldn't be able to integrate (it has happened to many I know) - if anything that is legal is acceptable - then what about badger baiting on your doorstep- perfectly legal in France - or seeing all your lapwings and small birds shot just for the sake of it. PERSONALLY I just couldn't live in a society where I couldn't give my sincere personal opinion without being derided or ostracized.

[/quote]

Just returned from 3 weeks on the Swiss/Franche Comte border. got my comeuppance sadly - hope you won't take pleasure, as it is just so sad. I am a local girl, born and bred there- and returning after 38 (happy) years in various loc. in the UK. We spent much time in the area over the years, visiting my parents, and got on well with the local farmers. Our hamlet in Switzerland consists of farmers and customs officers as we are only 300m from border. Sadly I realised that one of the local farmers keeps any injured/lame cattle in the fields behind our newly acquired farmhouse. the last few weeks have been dreadful, as we witnessed some terrible things with 2 cows. I just don;t know how how will cope if this happens again and again. The farmer is very friendly with us, I knew him as a teenager- but he is know to be ruthless and a despot. some people have already tried to report him for his awful husbandry - but nothing was done, and everybody is terrified of him. He owns more than half the land and property round there, and is very powerful. so it just shows that it is not easy to find peace - and definitely not easy, and possibly not an option, to close ones eyes to absolute cruelty. Images keep flashing in my mind at night- I know farming is not easy, and cows are 'cattle', BUT.