suitable gift?

Rose

Dear wise ones... thank goodness we're back as I've been needing your help again!  Our neighbours have helped us out sooooo much over the last week or so.  They have been making arrangements and helping with party plans in a really big way.  They also came down to say that they are thinking of doing Chambre D'hote next year and they have 2 double rooms and bathroom if anyone wanted to stay... so I asked any friends and one has said yes... so I went today to book the room and it's all fine but they wont take any money... because it's our friends. 

I'm blown away by their kindness and I really want to give them a gift by way of a thank you but I dont want to offend them so I would welcome some advice as to the best thing to go for.  I was thinking a bottle of good malt whisky and maybe a nice bouquet of flowers... would this be good, would they be offended, is there a better option?

any guidance welcome... thank you [:D]

[quote user="Rose"]

I'm blown away by their kindness and I really want to give them a gift by way of a thank you [/quote]

A generous thought, but maybe better to let your friends extend the 'thank you' after they've stayed in the accommodation?

For your neighbours, it's a start in the business.  For you, it's a potential minefield - if the accom isn't as great as it might be.

Hopefully it'll all be fine, but my view would be to keep it on as business-like a basis as you can, even if it's foc. 

I take your point Gardian, and if it was just the rooms I would agree but they really have gone out of their way to help us... they're doing all sorts of little things when they really dont need to and I would just like to say thanks from us.  I agree that I should leave my friends to say thanks... as I'm sure they will but I would also like to do something...

They have always been very helpful and welcoming but when we went to drop off their invitation they just offered help and have really gone out of their way.  If Iwas in the UK I wouldn't worry as I would just buy a gift but I'm not sure if it is the done thing here, or if we should just accept the kindness for what it is... it's a quandry... [8-)] [:)]

but thanks for your thoughts... I do appreciate it.

Rose, I'm certain that a small gift would be much appreciated be they French, Brits or hail from Timbuctoo!

I know I'd be delighted with a gift if I was in their shoes.

Go with your instincts, Rose,  human communications are comprehensible in any language or none.  You can't offend anybody if you give with a true heart and warm thoughts!

Rose, these things can be quite tricky, but don't underestimate how much value your thought and time has.

You explaining what was OK and what wasn't (re your mates' visit) will be a huge service to your French friends/neighbours, and you still get the benefit of the interactive language imput.[;-)]

If you 'repay' your neighbs for letting your friends stay free, they'll feel they have to 'repay' you in some way.

I have been through this whole thing, and it was much better once it settled down into 'we're neighbours, it's normal to help if you can'

I'm not saying I don't ever give my neighbour anything as a surprise (flowers, vegetables I know don't work on her land, etc.), but that's the best way I can think of to put it.

We have a B&B in the UK.  If a friend of someone we know wants to stay, we never charge.  Once, during floods, as a favour for a friend, we had two people for 2 weeks (their house had no water supply) and didn't expect payment.

I think a gift would be appropriate whilst your friends are staying there - a couple of pots of Women's Institute home made jam, for example, which they can use for B&B guests.