Christmas decorations.

Ysatis

I was sat here thinking about us due to put up our christmas decorations this Saturday. We have some outside one's to put up, icicles from the guttering. It's the first time we've had outside decorations.

We have yet to spend a Christmas in France, something we want to do (hopefully) in a few years time. I was wondering, do French households put up outside decorations like we do in the UK.

Yes, and lots of them!  In a 20 minute drive (to town, through a couple of villages, with lights hanging over the road, lit nativity scenes outside the churches and decorated Christmas trees) there are houses with parachuting Santas, groups of reindeer on the lawn, icicles a-go-go... Quite a few houses have some lights outlining the roof, gables & guttering and several have gone for the full Blackpool illuminations effect. It's lovely! There is one house nearby, covered in lights, all flashing at an insane pace. Makes your heart race just to watch it!  I thought that people might have cut back this year, but that doesn't seem to be so. At other times of year, there are no lights at all, because shutters are closed, so it is particularly nice to see such an explosion of colour and light.

We drove from the south of France to the Tunnel last wkend, and saw lots, particularly in the few small villages we went to. Some were really pretty, but I hated the vivid blue ones. (Probably just stepped on someone's toes!)

I had hoped to get one of those waterproof Santas to bring back, but couldn't find one anywhere - tried several garden centres, plus the various DIY places. The only one I saw was a set of 3 little ones - quite jolly, but not the fellas for me!

Jo