Maurice Jarre

moonraker

I was reading his IDBM profile this morning and realised how little I knew about him, apart from being aware he was Jean-Michel Jarre's father  and a composer...

I was quite surprised to see he had composed the scores for many of my favourite films and some very famous ones too...

Grand Prix, Ghost, Fatal Attraction, The Mosquito Coast, Witness, A Passage to India, The Year of Living Dangerously, Soleil Rouge, Jesus of Nazareth, Doctor Zhivago, Jacob's Ladder, Laurence of Arabia...

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]JM Jarre has always been one of my favourite musicians...[/quote]

When you look at JM's bio, it would appear there was limited opportunity for the father to influence the son.

I was in my mid-teens when Oxygène came out. Our philosophy teacher brought in in class for us to listen to and I was completely transfixed! (likewise with The Floyds' Wish You Were Here). One of my friends, who was classically trained in music, walked out of the class in anger over what she described as plagiarism...

Equinoxe 4 from the Concerts in China was the first one I ever heard (although I had heard Oxygene 4 years before on a tv show, but didn't know it was Jarre at the time).

Was blown away by it, and soon discovered many of the music on games on my old Commodore 64 was taken from Jarre.

Happy days.

I bought the 30th Anniversary of Oxygene. 3D in surround sound. Live in Your Living Room. Great stuff!