No Crise Economique Here

Gardian

We've been thinking of spending a few quid on replacing some clapped-out windows. What with visitors, we'd left it a bit late before the holiday period.

Dropped by 2 local places early last week and received the half-expected sharp intake of breath from both.  Holidays!  However, #1 gave us an appointment for today (but no devis till Sept), #2 an appt for month-end.  OK, fair enough.

#1 rang on Friday - desole, can we make it Weds instead?  OK, no problem.  Rang again this afternoon - desole, can't make it after all till 2nd Sept.  Shock prevented me from telling them to forget it.

There's obviously so much work around that these guys can afford to engender a feeling with a potential customer that nothing will ever happen efficiently or punctually.  Why not "I'm really busy just before our annual shutdown, but can I drop by for half an hour either early morning or early evening, have a quick look at the job, give you a rough feel for the price and leave you some glossies?  I'll make an appointment then for a proper survey".

Oh and yes I know that it's France and yes I know that I live in the Midi (where everything is that much more demain-ish), but really ...............  

As you say, no sense of leaving the customer with any good feeling about things. Nice that they have so much work, as well as their holidays to fit in, but the bad times aren't over yet!

We had an awning put up in July; it had been postponed twice from earlier in the year, due to a bereavement and also serious illness in the family. Rescheduling proved difficult both times, despite ringing a good way ahead from UK. The men who eventually installed it were scathing about people who waited until high summer for awnings. They apparently fit doors and windows in summer normally, and thought awnings should be fitted in winter.

They also had more work than they could cope with. Same general area, too.

Jo

Not sure if this is the right place to add this comment but I've just had a text from my daughter... who caught the TGV this morning for a day in Paris.  Maybe it's our fault for not checking but she's just told us they walked across Paris to the Louvre... and guess what... it's closed on a Tuesday? [:@] Ok... we never checked the website... but  we assumed that one of the top tourist sites in the world would be open during peak holiday season... [:@] [:@]

I think I need to go and swim... I seem to be too grumpy today! [:$]

[quote user="Rose"]

Not sure if this is the right place to add this comment but I've just had a text from my daughter... who caught the TGV this morning for a day in Paris.  Maybe it's our fault for not checking but she's just told us they walked across Paris to the Louvre... and guess what... it's closed on a Tuesday? [:@] Ok... we never checked the website... but  we assumed that one of the top tourist sites in the world would be open during peak holiday season... [:@] [:@]

I think I need to go and swim... I seem to be too grumpy today! [:$]

[/quote]

You were wrong. Is that their fault?

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Gardian"]

We've been thinking of spending a few quid on replacing some clapped-out windows. What with visitors, we'd left it a bit late before the holiday period.

Dropped by 2 local places early last week and received the half-expected sharp intake of breath from both.  Holidays!  However, #1 gave us an appointment for today (but no devis till Sept), #2 an appt for month-end.  OK, fair enough.

#1 rang on Friday - desole, can we make it Weds instead?  OK, no problem.  Rang again this afternoon - desole, can't make it after all till 2nd Sept.  Shock prevented me from telling them to forget it.

[/quote]

Just a footnote.  #2 turned up last week, measured up, but no devis yet.  Fair enough.

#1 didn't show up.[:'(]