'A Year in Provence' made the bestseller charts even in France !:-)

just john

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="Chancer"]

the fantasy life portrayed in AYIP

[/quote]

Ummm.  Well Chancer, there's 3 of us who actually live down here who say that what Mayle portrayed wasn't far from the truth.

I've seen, met and dealt with exactly the sort of characters he described.   

[/quote]

I was referring to the "fantasy lifestyle" as popular with all the French property magazines rather than the characters in any book which whilst often exaggerated  are usually based on real chracteristics just like those in a year in the m e r d e.

Some people used to refer to it as the fluffy France and on reading the book  seemed to me that is the dream that he succesfully sells.

If you are living that lifestyle even in a small part then I am genuinely envious Gardian, good on you [:)]

P.S. On this vein did anyone read the George East books? I used to love reading them whilst I was in England before I chucked things in, I never kidded myself that the characters were anything but fictitious but after re-reading a few of them I can now see that they were based on real people, just massively embroidered.

Does anyone know what became of him?

Well we live in the Mayenne bought the DVD YIP and have to agree that we have had many similar experiences. By the way we loved the DVD and have watched it numerous times and it still makes us laugh (haven't read the book). As for A Year in the Merde, didn't like it at all. An Englishman in Paris was good but didn't rate the follow up much when he moves to the campagne.

Chris