En fait

Christine Animal

The one that used to get me in the UK was "obviously" some of the cretins seemed to latch on to it in the misguided view that it lent credibility to what they said.

The TV reporters might be interviewing a so called "expert" for their opinion on whatever the subject was and they would start every sentence with "obviously........."

I used to think well if its obvious why are you moving your lips up and down and waggling your tongue to tell us? Why are the Tv companies paying money for experts to tell us what is obvious.

Trouble is Christine, en fait,  now that you have brought it to my attention it will bug me more and more just like the incesant "eeuuhhhing" that I hear every 3 seconds and I will then have two things to get grumpy with, as it stands I can no longer listen to any French radio, its becoming that way with television.

I never thought that I would consider watching UK TV again buy maybe its time to try again, do they still say "like" all the time? [:P]

They do say "like" but also start many sentences with "I mean"

If you are going back to UK TV be prepared for "coming up" as part of the programme. One of the worst for this is Countryfile. They also break off half way through a report, go to something else, then go back to finish the previous item. Maybe they think we have short attention spans - I just find it totally frustrating and yet another form of "dumbing down", (sorry, rant over[:)])

There are lots of programmes that seem to do that these days - and it is incredibly irritating! I think you only get half the time on the actual topic as they're so busy recapping what they've just said or telling us what's coming up.

Lou

[quote user="Lou"]There are lots of programmes that seem to do that these days - and it is incredibly irritating! I think you only get half the time on the actual topic as they're so busy recapping what they've just said or telling us what's coming up.

Lou
[/quote]I reckon this is more about cost cutting than dumbing down.   Cheaper to repeat the same bit of footage and do voice-over than shoot new stuff.

I bought a set of DVDs about Paul Drayson preparing for Sebring.  It was a series of programmes broadcast on some commercial channel and it had not been edited for DVD release, apart from the removal of the ads.  The intro' (a good 3 minutes or so) is repeated 3 times in every 40 minute segment so that if you watch the whole thing in one go, you want to smash Tuff Noodle (the presenter)'s head in by the time he says it for the 20th time.   Grr...