Death by farmed Salmon

Iceni

FDA reports which checked farmed salmon from all over the world found the highest levels of contaminants in many countries including France (Paris market) and the highest levels of all are found in Scottish farmed salmon. The recomendation is that it is eaten less than once a month. The UK are playing this down saying that it is OK to eat once a week as the good it does you counteracts all the cancer inducing chemicals but does not give this advice to pregnant women.

Now for the good news - wild salmon - such as that bought in French supermarkets frozen from Alaska at about 1.90 each (depending on weight, we have one for supper tonight) is fine and can be eaten 8+ times a month even taking into consideration the low levels of dioxins and PCB's etc that are considered a danger to health.

In Edwardian/Victorian times, London servants used to have it put into their contracts that Oysters and Salmon were only be fed to them once or twice a week as this was a cheap and common food from the Thames (and you can imagine what that contained considering it was London's only form of sewerage removal apart from the 'Night soil' men!) - onwards and backwards.

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

Hi,
Have you read "The Great Food Gamble" by John humphrys, there is a chapter about Salmon Farming that will put you off farmed Salmon for life! It`s also a very good book if you are interested in what we are doing to our food.

Kind Regards
Ronni

I love eating salmon. I was so disappointed that this report came out. I don't know how it will affect my eating patterns, I know I usually eat it once or twice a month and that would be a lot more if my husband liked it better.

The sometimes sell 'wild' salmon at our Super U, at wild prices too, so until now I have stayed away from it. I'll give it a closer look next time they have it in. I find the frozen salmon a little dry. I have eaten much of it over the years and still prefer the fresh.

The politics of the world has turned me recently into a cynic, I used to be just the opposite.

America went to war with Iraq for petrol - no matter the talks of WMDs and removing a dictator for the good of the poulation.

Sky marshalls now required on planes flying to America - will this help the bankrupt American airline industry get more people on their planes rather than others?

Now, why is an American university suddenly spouting forth about Scottish, Irish and Norwegian salmon farming? Could it be that the fishing industry of the USA is in need of a boost?

How could I even think such a thing - at this rate they will be planning to go to Mars next to get votes at the next election!

Silly me.

Pip

Sorry to inflict the Grauniad on you yet again, but this is an easy-to-read article about farmed fish.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,1120704,00.html

The bad news (I haven't been keeping up with fish news) is that sea-bass, halibut, cod, tuna, and turbot are all farmed too.

Greece apparently produces 60% of the European market of sea bass.

And baked potatoes are carcinogenic.

Is there anything that IS safe to eat?