Making a will

wallifer

[quote user="wallifer"]

My hubby is always going on about me making a will, which I really should do. As I have no children or blood relatives, can I leave my house and assets to a charity?

[/quote]

Having just made French Wills we wanted to leave money to two Dobermann charities. Discussing this with the Notaire we discovered that there are two different types of charities - those that can benefit from a Will and those that cannot - in our case the latter. This was established by the Notaire contacting them and enquiring their status.

We made Wills in the UK and then France for our French assets. Must say the cost difference was extreme, well under half the price in France compared to the UK.

Paul

[quote user="wallifer"]

My hubby is always going on about me making a will, which I really should do. As I have no children or blood relatives, can I leave my house and assets to a charity?

[/quote]

Hi,

Unless you wish to risk the french government taking 60% of the value of your charity bequest, you must find an appropriate french based charity (or french branch of an international one), which has official recognition as an "organisme d'interet général ", or an "associationd'utilité publique", and which issues "réçus fiscaux" when they recieve donations; this you should check with the charity.