French food and drink dictionary

Juleyandpaul

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a dictionary for use in resturants etc.

Nothing too big but with most of the words that we will come across when going out for a meal in France.

There are quite a few on Amazon but would rather have one with a recommendation.

Thanks
Juley

>Hello,
>
>Can anyone recommend a dictionary for
>use in resturants etc.

I quite like the pocket sized "French Menu Reader" by Stanway , ISBN 09532 85804. I think I bought our copy on a Brittany Ferries boat.

Best Regards,

Paul

We have been using 'The Pocket Guide to French Food and Wine' by Tessa Youell and George Kimball for many years.It really is an excellant little book,seperated into regions then a dictionary.ISBN 0947761004,it was second hand when we were given it,so it may be hard to find.
Regards Tony

• 2 weeks later...
I have bought and enjoyed using 'Eat you Words' and 'Bon Appetit' - (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0709062850/qid=1092039718/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-5296461-4317231) the latter is a bit bigger but excellent and still fit's in my handbag
Happy eating.

• 2 weeks later...
I reckon the best of the lot is The Taste of France - it was a Macmillan paperback but is, sadly, out of print. Main author is Fay Sharman (I hasten to say that I am not she!) and a search on Abebooks website will usually trawl a copy. I've used it for years and have never yet found a menu term it didn't cover. It is all in alpha order, making it very quick to refer to.