Vendange

Teamedup

What wines are you drinking. Our local ANJOU wines are the same price this year. Machines are inevitable I guess but some of the grapes are still hand picked. In fact I'm taking a day out for the vendange this year to help. Can't wait should be very interesting.

[quote]What wines are you drinking. Our local ANJOU wines are the same price this year. Machines are inevitable I guess but some of the grapes are still hand picked. In fact I'm taking a day out for the vend...[/quote]

Done in the old traditional way, a day may be interesting J but any longer and the work just becomes plain hard graft. As a younger man and along with several mates, all of us on our way back from spending time in Spain, we would seek work around the Serignan and Perpignan areas of France for the vendage. This went on for a few years.

Yes, it was good fun, the comraderie etc,  especially if you were lucky to get a few of you in the same "vineyards" but instead of interesting, the word I would have given it was b---y hard work. We left after a couple of weeks or so, with barely enough to get home (via Munich !) but the memories of those days are magical, we even got on with the gitans very well.

TU - Page 1 from the accountants rule book

Selling price has nothing to do with cost price - provided there is sufficient difference between the 2. A good basic rule for SP is "as much as the market will accept" i.e. if you happily paid €2 per litre for my wine last year, why reduce the price just because my costs have fallen ?

John

Our local cave co-opérative has increased its prices, probably partly to pay for the flash new chrome-and-glass shop they've built there, now that we're part of some Montpellier Agglo Route des Vignes or similar touristy nonsense.

They say they can't move the vrac machines from the old shop (about 20 metres away), so no more wine-filled plastic cubes.

Bag-in-box is the order of the day now.

Good grief 2 euros/litre, I'm glad ours isn't that much. We get a very nice  bio table de vin from our local producer for 1.50/litre. All you have to do is bring your own bottles. We have some lovely 3 litre bottles and 2 of those keep us going for a few daze ....

They also do some lovely bottled wines for less than 5 euros too. A couple of glasses of Cabardés with the Pyrenees as the backdrop and the evening sun on your face . OOh I've bin an gon all funny now.

Happy John.

Miki, I dare say it will be bl***y hard work but what doesn't kill us will only make us stonger. That said I do already have a nagging back. I'm sure it will be worthwhile. I get on very well with a number of our local viticulteurs, largely because I spend too much time with them for dégustations. I enjoy more than anything the culture of it rather than a get pissed cheap attitude so often prevelent in UK. It is despite being hard work interesting to see how the wine is made. It is a craft and I find my French friends really appreciate our genuine interest.

They sell the wine locally at around €2 a litre. This is wine that would cost £5 and £10 a bottle in UK. I do now buy en vrac (new word learned today thank you TU) and I bottle it at home. It's common sense and doesn't taste any different from bottles. Of course the "bag in box" is only for last years vintage. Older wines are all bottled. All round I love it and it is one of the great plus points to living bord de La Loire.