Cream cheese ??

Lori

Does anyone have any idea where I can find cream cheese? Auchan had been carrying a very similar Dutch variety of cheese called "Cremette." However, they have run out of stock and removed the name plate where it was located. I have several holiday recipes that call for cream cheese - not to mention Cheesecake. I have tried using the St. Moret, but it is really not the same thing. Any advice? We are in the Vaucluse.

I think mascarpone would be too soft for a topping. It is wonderful for the middle bit of a cheesecake (take it we are not talking cooked cheesecake here?) I usually do a breadcrumb base with brown sugar and butter, then mascarpone, double cream, a bit of sugar and some lemon whipped together for the filling and top with strawberries / raspberries / cherries covered with some melted redcurrant jelly. Don't make it too often tho' for obvious reasons! Mascarpone is also excellent for tiramasu.

regards

Lisa

Bought the mascarpone today. Oh my !!! It is SO good. Can't believe I have never tasted it before. Lisa, your recipe sounds fantastic. Is it an actual recipe or do you just put it together without measurements? If you have a recipe and are willing to send it to me, I would love to give it a try. You could use the private message system if willing. Thanks.

Well it was a recipe once, but now I just wing it ... I think about 6oz crushed digestive biscuits (petit beurre? Nice? in which case less sugar), 2oz sugar, 2oz butter for the base which you melt and mix up in a saucepan and bung in the bottom of a cake tin, then a tub (225g?) of mascarpone, 100g (mixing my imperial and metric here) of cream - I haven't tried it but I think the creme crue we buy in the markets in Normandy would be fab- with an ounce or so of sugar, rind and juice of a lemon for the middle bit, whisked up together (sugar / lemon according to taste but I like it a bit on the tart side to make up for the sweetness elsewhere,) then enough fruit to spread on the top, with the redcurrant jelly. Stick it all in the fridge and serve after a few hours. Sorry - all a bit vague, but it's a very forgiving sort of recipe... Enjoy!

regards

Lisa