Passport Photos

Fi

Hope this is the right place for this.

My 5 year old's passport has expired.  No problem with the paperwork, or getting counter-signatories for pics, but getting the pics is a nightmare!  He is autistic, and simply doesn't get "eyes open, don't smile" etc etc - meltdown ensues (very embarrassing).  Have tried everything.  Spent a small fortune in the local photoshop, got a lot of pics of the back of his head as he escapes from the photobooth, tried taking pics at home and using that useful website to make them acceptable to the authorities.  Rien de tout.  Cauchemar.  Je m'en fiche.  If I drug him somehow, his eyes will be shut.  Really don't know what to do. 

Any ideas?

Fi

Oh, my, that's tough. Could you set everything up (lighting, trial-run focus of camera, etc.) in advance at home and then get someone else in the family or a close friend to stand where you want your son to look and engage his attention?

Is he really not allowed to smile for a UK passport? I know that's not a requirement for a passport from the US (they're more concerned with size, lighting and a light, neutral background).

[quote user="Russethouse"]Could you try what they suggest for babies, lay him down and stand over him, get him to look for something above your head ?  (A halo ? [:)])[/quote]

More likely - [6]  Definitely worth a try though - it would have to be an extremely large bar of chocolate to get his attention though!

Fi

Hi

We have similar problems with our son who has severe learning difficulties. We contacted the passport offices and they were very sympathetic. With proof of his disability they accepted a photo that didn't comply with all the rules (closed mouth, looking straight ahead etc). I hope this helps, at least you know you are not the only ones with this problem!

Good luck!

I have a daughter with severe learning difficulties.  I have had to hold the back of her head up by the hair in the past because she looks downwards.

The best thing to do is to go to a photographer rather than using a booth.  They are very sympathetic.  If you find a camera shop in a nearby town, the chances are they can do passport photos in the shop.

Or ask the directrice of your school who does the annual school photos - that photographer will be child friendly.