Cookery course 50% reduction

Iceni

I have been given permission to post this.

I went on a cookery course last October at the Walnut Grove cookery school in Mayenne. They currently have some places available for the April course on 23rd to 28th and are offering a 50% discount. Full details of the course, chefs and testimonials can be seen here http://www.walnutgrovecookery.com.  The cost with accommodation is € 675.00. They also allow non-cooking partners to go and enjoy the food and have a good break etc.

I was so impressed I am booked on the advanced course in June

• 2 weeks later...

Iceni you are so lucky! I have known of the Walnut Grove ever since it first opened and have it marked as a place to defintely go.  I'm so glad you were impressed.  Apart from the fantastic cooking, what was the rest of the place and the decor like? 

Did you find the recipes you learnt were the sort of things you'll now cook at home?

The accomodation was good as we were in a self contained Gite next to the kitchens, each room had its own facilites. There was a good sized sitting/dining room with log fire if needed (I went in October and we did light it on a couple of nights). The professional kitchen is large, well equipped and the mezzanine eating area upstairs makes you feel like you are eating in a good resturant.

I actually use the skills I learnt every day. My food is much better regarding seasoning, sauces and soups - as John says, everything I cook has more taste -it is stronger. I now bone pork loins, fillet fish and have nice sharp knives ready to be used. I make up to 10 litres of soup a week so I suppose I do get a chance to practice my skills.

They have a newsletter and this months recipe (fish roulade) was something I just had to try - it was great and I have added it to my easy section. We made confit of rabbit - this was an absolute eye opener and is not at all difficult to make.

Take a look at the recipies on the site. One final point (yes, you can tell I was totally bowled over) having two nice, fun, professional chefs was a dream and the time spent in the kitchen was far more than some other courses I looked at.

Anyone for Bloody Mary sorbet - the tomato sorbet is served in a shot glass with the vodka beneath - I have also made the Gin and Tonic version - hic

I can't wait for June - just wish it was not a 9+ hours drive.

my wife has broke her ankle in 2 places and i am now chef,cleaner,gardener ,dods body,chaufeur.......

need i go on.i now appreciate what my wife has done in the past.

i think she wished i had been on a cookery course.

bloody sandwiches ,soup.

their are no carry -outs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if she was a horse they would have shot her with a broken ankle.

anyway i now know 10 ways to make a chicken sandwich.

I had a look at the Walnut site and tried a couple of the recipes.  The Lemon Tart was a great success but the Cauliflower Soup not so good, probably because I missed out the spicy bit. Will try it again with ALL the ingredients.

weedon

Thank you for the feedback, I will certainly make time for the course when I have the spare pennies. One question though - why do make so much soup each week? Have you gone into business, feeding a private army or have loads of builders to keep happy!