Breadmaker

lornameg

As the house we will be renting is not within walking distance of a boulangerie, (probably a good job, as far as my diet goes) I will continue to use my breadmaker.  Can I easily buy bread flours and dried yeast in supermarkets? 

Many thanks Lorna

Burton upon Trent till September, then 47.

The Francine range of flours is available just about everywhere - and the mixed cereal bread flour in particular gives very good results. Some flours are sold by type number and you need type 65 for bread. Bread makers are becoming increasingly popular in France and you shouldn't have any trouble getting yeast either.   

Many thanks Su

Another question for you:

In England I make my bread overnight, on Economy 7 electric.  I don't know much about French power schedules, is it cheaper at night and are the tarriffs widely different in prices?  This will  be useful to know as I also use the washing machine at night.

Lorna

Off peak electricity is available - it all depends which area you are in and which tariff you pick.  We live in Deux-Sèvres and there is a choice of 4 different start and stop times for "les heures creuses".  We have chosen 1230 until 1430 at lunchtime and 0130 until 0730 at night so that we have 2 opportunities to use the washing machine, dish washer etc.  There is quite a difference between the rates but I believe it depends on where you are living and who your supplier is - we have "Ouest Energie".

Hi. We have EDF and there is quite a choice of tariffs/hours. We have cheaper electricity 1.30 at lunchtime- 4.30,and then in the middle of the night 2.30- 7.30. In a different house we have Tempo which gives you much cheaper electricity for 10 months of the year but there is a sting in the tail,22 days are 10 times the price and you really need to turn everything off on those days to save money overall!! If you are happy to be very frugal on these days then it is a good tariff!

I have found it hard to find strong flour in the large supermarkets near us. We buy flour in 5 kg sacks from a local Gamm Vert which has a local produce section - they sell plain, wholemeal, rye, buckwheat, etc. It may be cheaper if you can find a shop like this or look into any mills if there are any nearby as they often sell direct. Yeast is easy to get hold of in the supermarkets - you will need to get the 'super-rapide' type that you don't mix with water. About 60 cents for three sachets.

We use the timer for appliances here too, as we have set cheap hours, and this will depend on your electricity company when you get connected. Normally a long period overnight or split in two, the afternoon and then early hours.

Jane

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone suggest a decent French breadmaker please. Steady now. Not the obvious! I mean the electric sort that you put flour, yeast etc. in.

I would like to make bread but have never used a breadmaker before. No doubt it will mean lengthy consultations with the dictionary and the possible book of instructions but no pain (forgive me ) no gain.

It would help if it was one readily available in the bigger chains such as But or Leclerc that I can reach easily.