cooking sherry & arugula

Lori

Not necessarily in the same recipe...

I have been looking for cooking sherry, but can only seem to find port sherries, ruby or the lighter one.  Can anyone advise a similar ingredient or perhaps tell me where I might find real cooking sherry?  I have tried LeClerc, Auchan, Giant, Intermarche, etc.   It must be here under some name...

Also, what do the French call Arugula?  or do they have it here?  I don't find Roquette to be the same thing...???

Thanks

You'll be lucky really. Sherry is from Spain and Port is from Portugal.

On very rare occassions I have seen Sherry it's been in somewhere like Carrefour, but there has been none in ours for at least five years. And when they had some it was Harveys Bristol Cream. Perfectly decent drinking plonk, rather than the cooking stuff.

Ports are always available, but port and sherry are not the same thing at all. I really do doubt that you would ever find cooking sherry here. The nearest thing is Xeres (Sherry in spannish) vinegar, but I don't suppose that that is what you are after.

I love good Port and I love old port best, especially when it has spent at least a good thirty years or more maturing. Always much appreciated chez moi.

I find that so amazing.  I have to drive to Spain to buy sherry.  Maybe I can find it somewhere online (for delivery here).  I have several recipes that call for sherry - many marinades.  I can't think of any substitutes. 

It is really hard to understand why SO many European products are not more widely available IN Europe.  I also can't find my McCann's Steel cut oatmeal here either (or any other brand of true steel cut oatmeal).  It's made in Scotland...  I won't go on listing all the many other things I search for..

Guess it is just "one of those things."

Lori,

Like TU I am sure I have seen sherry in French supermarkets but just recently tried to find some and failed totally.

Best I can come up with as a substitute are the stronger French appero wines from around Perpignan - Banyuls (sp?) might do for some recipes.

PS Arugula and Roquette are the same thing, but like any food, it depends on where it was grown, how it's been treated etc..  I would have thought where you are it should be possible to grow it yourself and get that authentic peppery taste.

I suppose that you could order some sherry from somewhere like the epicerie anglaise, although it wouldn't probably be other than drinking sherry they sell.

Have you thought about chinese rice alcahol, Hua Tiao , they substitute sherry for that in their cooking, so why not the other way round. And there are usually oriental food stores in the big cities. And frankly when it hits the pan it smells pretty similar to sherry and I certainly wouldn't drink it. I only use it in cooking rather than for puddings.

I have the rice vinegar and I use it when it works, but I think the Banyuls might be an acceptable substitute for the sherry.

I suppose I might be able to grow arugula, but we have no water down here and growing ANYTHING is an enormous risk.  I find the Roquette is smaller in leaf size and more peppery than what I am used to.  However, I use it whenever arugula is called for...

Oh well, I guess I just better adjust.....