Taking cassoulet to the US...

Hegs

Back page in last saturday's local Le Telegramme was about some wally in Guingamp who put a can of this stuff in his microwave to heat it up. Guess what! All I can say is that they didn't keep him inhospital long but his kitchen is a real mess and I doubt the insurers will pay out.

We haven't taken it back in the last few months, but have never had a problem before.  Step son adores the stuff, so we are always bringing it back in our checked bag.  We have never declared it as I didn't think you had to.  Don't know if anything has changed.

I have only been to the states three times but I didn't dare take any food with me. I've just looked this up and it says pretty much what the information said, last time I was going there.

5. What about taking food with me to the U.S.?
U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations prohibit tourists from bringing fresh, dried, and canned meats and meat products from most foreign countries. If any meat is used in preparing a product, it is prohibited. Bakery items and all cured cheeses are admissible. Imported foods are also subject to requirements of the Food and Drug Administration and may be seized upon inspection if, in the opinion of the FDA, they pose any health risk of any kind.
Please check the Department of Agriculture's list of approved products!

If you are not sure, if you can bring a certain product, the
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the Department of Agriculture will be able to assist you.

We've literally just eaten one of the cans I was going to take (gulp!). It was a Walter Spanghero and it was good, the sausage especially was great.

Usually I eat the Maison du Cassoulet brand (I have three of those to take, one is just duck not confit of duck) and on balance I think I prefer that by just by a little. I haven't tried many other varieties but eat it a lot in restaurants.

Any recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I declared the cassoulet, had my bags searched, and they said it was OK, they knew what it was :-) Even the cassoule made it through without shattering this time. One happy boss and Mrs boss.

I asked if I should declare it in future and they said yes.

[quote]Back page in last saturday's local Le Telegramme was about some wally in Guingamp who put a can of this stuff in his microwave to heat it up. Guess what! All I can say is that they didn't keep him inh...[/quote]

When we were living in Los Angeles, we brought food items back with us all the time. Generally, the rules apply to "fresh" meat products, fruits, vegetables and live plants.

We would bring back fois gras and paté in bocals, confiture, honey, chocolates, tea, etc. and never had a problem. Customs is worried about stuff that could bring infestations into the U.S. Therefore, anything that is conserved should be fine.

Of course, if you get someone who wants to be a pain, I suppose they could take it, but no one ever bothered us in 27 years of travel back and forth.