Pressure Cookers

PossumGirl

All I wanted for Christmas was a pressure cooker. The new ones by SEB are fabulous and easy to use.  I've been using mine almost daily and can't recommend them highly enough.

I've even made a roast chicken and a roasted turkey breast in mine and they came out great.  The turkey, which I made last night for dinner, was so moist and flavorful, that I can't wait for lunch to sample the leftovers.  The best part is that you can roast a whole chicken or a large turkey breast in twenty-five to thirty-five minutes.

So, pull those pressure cookers out of the dark, dusty cabinet where you've been hiding it for  years.  I know you have one!  You'll be glad you did.

R

[quote user="Russethouse"]

In the dark ages I used to sell pressure cookers, and the spares. If I had a pound for everyone of those valves that ended up embedded in someones ceiling...............

I believe they have come on a bit now though - does yours release the pressure automatically ?

[/quote]

There is no separate valve, so nothing to fly off and inbed itself anywhere!  There's a dial in the center, which you turn to the correct setting: pressure release, veggie, meat, frozen food.  You can turn the dial gradually to slowly release the pressure or you can put it under cold water to drop the pressure fast.  All of the functions: pressure guage, timer, release valves, are in that one-piece, central mechanism, so it really is much safer than the old kind.  I used to be afraid to go into the kitchen when that valve was jiggling around at high speed!

R

[quote user="Russethouse"]

In the dark ages I used to sell pressure cookers, and the spares. If I had a pound for everyone of those valves that ended up embedded in someones ceiling...............

I believe they have come on a bit now though - does yours release the pressure automatically ?

[/quote]

Reminds me of my mother in the days when a pressure cooker was the latest must-have modern appliance.  She used to make really great winter warming type soups in hers, with ham shanks and lentils and all that rib-sticking stuff.  Trouble was, she could not be convinced to wait for the thing cool down before opening it.  Instead of  putting it under cold running water she just used the prongs of a fork to whip off the valve and up went the soup all over the kitchen ceiling, it looked just like a minature "Old Faithful" that New Zealand(I think) geyser, and the mess - I just cannot describe the mess.   She just never learned and did it time after time.  If I had been so daft I would have had my ears soundly boxed and if I had done it twice I dread to think what would have happened.

Anne

I bought my SEB pressure cooker when I first moved over here in 1990 and I have been using it daily ever since.

No fuss, no problems and lots of delicious meals!

I hope you have as many happy hours with yours, they seem to go on forever. They must be extremely well-made to last so long.

I have had my pressure cooker since 1977, so not at all a modern one. I don't use it as much as I used to but still like it and it is a darned good big pan to have around anyway as I sometimes use it just as a pan.

I am going to get a new one, but will look for one after the move, I don't want to get say a SEB and not be able to get spare parts easily.

I have rarely had stuff blow out of the top as I normally put it under the cold water tap.