Fresh pasta

vervialle

As you will have guessed I am passionate about home cooking and whilst fresh pasta seems Italian, I have had many a good home cooked ravioli in a decent french restaurent.First of all Pasta is very simple to make and great fun, if you have kids get them to help, they will just love it.The basic recipe is 10oz pasta flour , three eggs,tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt.You can use 6 egg yolks instead of three eggs for a richer pasta but the former works just fine.I make it in my breadmaker on the dough cycle or my food processor and once it is pliable you can then put it through your pasta machine,which costs  about £15.00. or just roll it thinly with a rolling pin.If you want to make tagitelli just cut it into thin strips and hang over your door to dry for an hour or two.If you want to make ravioli , roll it out into oblongs fill it with what ever you fancy, make a long parcel wetting the edges of the pasta and cut it into squares, you can use a pastry cutter and make round ones if you like. I fill my raviolis with tai chicken, or crab and prawns, anything you like.Once they are made cook them for five minutes in boiling water, place them in a dish cover with a fresh homemade tomato sauce sprinkle with mozzerella and bang under the grill until golden.I add fresh chillies for a change ,you will never want to eat dried pasta once you have made it fresh it is superb.We have a great restaurent near us that fill their raviolis with lobster, it is delicious.My pasta machine was £15.00 in argos.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I resurrect this topic and ask if it is possible to use strong flour (bread flour) in the absence of pasta flour.  I have looked everywhere for the 00 type flour but without success.  I'm sure I've read somewhere that this would be a decent alternative?[8-)]

The reason why Durum wheat is used in pasta production comes from the fact that the grain of the Durum wheat is hard. This property relates to the gluten content which provides elasticity to the dough.

Most of the Durum wheat used in pasta production in the UK comes from the south of France and Italy, as the climate in the UK is not suitable for its growth.

Many thanks for this Les.  Are you saying that French bread flour - which I use for my breadmaking anyway - would be suitable or not?  I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to just try it out............... 

What about 'farine de semoule' - that is durum wheat flour, isn't it?  Or is it not finely enough ground?

There are several French language pasta recipes online at various sites that give different mixes of 00 (soft wheat) and semoule depending on the pasta type in question, e.g.

* préparation de pâte feuilletée pour ravioli:

70 % de farine type 00,

30 % de semoule de blé dur,

5 oeufs par kg + eau

pétrir pendant environ 10 minutes.

la pâte doit avoir un pourcentage d'humidité entre oeufs et eau

d'environ 32%.

* préparation de pâte pour tagliatelles:

50 % de farine type 00,

50 % de semoule de blé dur,

7/10 oeufs par kg,

ou

100% de semoule de blé dur,

5 oeufs par kg de semoule + eau,

pétrir pendant environ 15 minutes avec humidité d'environ 33%.

So this suggests both should both be available somewhere!

W'ell, the fact that you have found recipes suggesting that 00 type flour exists gives me some hope.  I have some 'semoules' here but it is quite course and not suitable for this purpose, I think.  I shall look out for the  real stuff when we go to a bigger town (our supermarkets are quite small) but I am going to try it out with some bread flour meanwhile.  I'll let you know how I get on!!!

Clair that isa  brilliant piece of information!!!!  I have just returned from scouring the shelves of Geant in Angouleme - looking for Farine de semoule.  Managed to find a small bag  but after reading your thread I see that I already have Farine Type 45 on my shelf ie Farine de Ble!!!  Many thanks for looking that up for me and all the other pasta makers!!!

you can also make excellent fresh pasta with 10 eggs to a bag of supermarket cheapest flour and a pinch of salt.

(thanks again Simon for the recipe!!)

Mix, roll, roll some more....

Has anyone found pasta machines over here? The only ones I could find were commercial ones that were very dear :(

Another very good suggestion.  Sorry I bought my pasta machine over with me from UK.  It was a present from my daughter but I was working full time then and only managed to use it a couple of times.  Now I have lots of time I wanted to be able to make my own. I've just looked online (I'm not sure I can say where -but I get my books there) and they're available for $29.95 plus shipping (I think that's about £16.20p)