Ice Cream/Yoghurt Maker

Oldie

Does anyone own one of these? I eat half a dozen yoghurts a day and thought that it might be worthwhile purchasing a machine instead. Has anyone any experience of using one, and how easy is it to ontain the basic ingredients?

Any advice welcome please.

I have a counter top ice cream maker and use it all the time.  The

counter top ones are quite expensive so you have to be a bit of a

foodie /  ice cream enthusiast (and eat a lot of ice cream) - but

having three kids that's not a problem!  We have the Magimix

Gelato 2200 - which retails at £285 - though we got our for a lot less

than that!  The counter top ones need no pre-freezing and have a

far more powerful motor. Before we bought the Magimix, we had one you

had to prefreeze - and, tbh, it was a complete waste of time.  You

have to remember to pre- freeze it (for, I think 24 hours, before

using), the motor was pathetic and gave up while the ice cream was

still runny - and it hardly held any ice-cream.  It took a days

planning and another days effort / freezing to make a small tub of ice

cream - which was demolished in 30 seconds by the kids! It was easier

to just use a plastic container and a beat well by hand!  (the

ice-cream not the kids that is!)

With regard to how easy it is to use them - I guess it depends on the

type of ice-cream.  Our two family favourites: banana rippled with

toffee and lemon & lime ice-cream are very easy to make.  The

most difficult are probably those that use a creme anglais base. There

are so many different types - custard based, syrup based, sorbets, milk

ices, sherbets etc...

Kathie

That's one advantage of making it yourself  - you know what goes

into it.  Mum has to have a virtually fat free diet so ice-cream

is usually not an option for her.  It wouldn't be worth her buying

an ice-cream maker for the amount she would eat so we keep her supplied

with frozen yoghurt icecreams, sherberts and sorbets etc.

It always pays to keep on the good side of your mum [;-)]

Kathie

[quote user="Dick Smith"]The yogurt has to be 'live'. You then wait and wait...
Quite honestly, you are better off buying it. You get more variety, apart from anything else.

[/quote]

Have to disagree on this one, Dick. Depending on the machine it takes 4 - 8 hours which is ok once you get into a routine with it and live yogurt is readily available theses days. Seeing you can add anything you like to it, I can't see how you can get less variety than from shop bought ( carrot yogurt anyone?). If you eat 6 a day then you're bound to save money. We got rid of ours because we don't eat six a week between us and it wasn't earning its space. For a yogurt addict it could be worth a go and you can pick them up pretty cheaply, both new and secondhand. I'd agree that you need to be really keen on yogurt for it to be worthwhile, though.

Frankly, their website is nothing but an evil temptation to spend money!!!  I placed an order yesterday and it has already been sent out!  I'm supposed to have it before the end of the week.

I will not go there again to browse, I will not!!!

PG

You don't need a machine now-a-days.  Try the EasiYo system.  http://www.easiyo.com/  It started in New Zealand where a large percentage of the population make their own yoghurt and ice cream.  It is catching on big time in the UK.

You shake a yoghurt mix with cold water in a plastic container, place into a thermos container filled with hot water and just put it in the fridge overnight.  Hey presto, yoghurt for breakfast everyday.  It's not expensive.  The original pack is less than £15 and the mixes are about £2.  They also do ice cream mixes.

We have a yogurt making "machine" made by SEB in France, use it all the time and have done so for years and years. It makes 8 jars and to enable us to have a steady supply we bought another 8 jars which you can buy separately. Once you have some live yog you're of and away. One jar of yogurt from the current batch gets mixed with a litre of milk and whisked and poured into the next 8 jars, the jars go in the machine, switched on and left overnight, it doesn't have to be overnight as the machine switches of after an hour and maintains enough heat to finish the process and so it goes on....

Simple, and in our case organic yogurt, no sugar, just milk. Have it plain, mix fruit in after, have it on fruit, the choice is yours. Only thing it can't be is low fat, you need a factory and a few other things to throw in to make that..

Almost all of the shop yogurts use milk powders and proteins to bind them.

Chris

[quote user="Cathy"]Try the EasiYo system.  http://www.easiyo.com [/quote]

Thanks for that timely reminder [:)]

I have a Lakeland yogurt maker and used to buy EasiYo mixes when in England. So easy: just mix, plug and leave overnight. So tasty too!

Having just visited the EasiYo website, I see they now deliver all over and quote in Euros!

-------------------------

Edit: having just added up my order, I now realise the delivery charge is much much more than anticipated [blink]... Lakeland it is then!

"Taillefine sounds groovy - is it available in the UK do you know?"

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that but it's available in most of the supermarkets in our part of SW France, normally sold in a pack of various fruits.