Cranberry sauce

PossumGirl

Although I didn't manage to find any fresh cranberries, I did come up with a jar of Andros Arielles in the canned fruit aisle of LeClerc.  I was a bit sceptical, but beggars can't be choosers so I bought them.

They turned out great.  They're packed in water, not syrup, so you can cook them up as you like without worrying about it being too sweet.  I poured out the water, added some orange juice, sugar and raisins and cooked for about 15 minutes, until it thickened.  It actually made one of the best cranberry sauces I've had.

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"]Although I didn't manage to find any fresh cranberries, I did come up with a jar of Andros Airelles in the canned fruit aisle of LeClerc.  I was a bit sceptical, but beggars can't be choosers so I bought them.

They turned out great.  They're packed in water, not syrup, so you can cook them up as you like without worrying about it being too sweet.  I poured out the water, added some orange juice, sugar and raisins and cooked for about 15 minutes, until it thickened.  It actually made one of the best cranberry sauces I've had.PG[/quote]

I found frozen AIRELLES at Picard yesterday... oops link does not work... type airelles in the search box, top left...

[quote user="PossumGirl"]Nope.  Picard doesn't deliver here; although Thiriet and Agrigel do.  I've ordered from Thiriet, but I think overall I prefer Picard. PG[/quote]

So do I! Actually we refer to Picard as "the M&S of the frozen world"! Some of their products seem expensive, and I tend to buy basics when I do go there, but I find their monthly selection is good value for money.

I buy very few prepared meals.  I do buy their Indian meals, because there is no Indian restaurant near us and Mr. Possum does miss that.  In fact, he thinks their Butter Chicken is as good as things he has eaten out.

I find their selection vegetables and meat to be good value for the quality.  Unless I'm getting my fresh produce in season, I prefer frozen to canned for the flavor.

And, they have one thing which amuses the heck out of me: in their bread section they sell bagels. I was very impressed with how close they were to what I'm familiar with, then I looked at the small print and discovered they are imported from the U.S.!  No wonder they tasted just llike a New York bagel; they ARE!

PG