These Curry Kits are fantastic or ill eat my hat

Tim_Quincaillerie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Tim_Quincaillerie"]I have started to order some curry kits from the UK and so far they have been fantastic, better than a Takeaway.

Have a look at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chicken-Tikka-Masala-from-The-Curry-Shop_W0QQitemZ320047436376QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[/quote]

For those that don't want to go through the dreaded eBay, John McAlinden and Sal can be contacted via [email protected]  They accept payment by cheque and PayPal.  I received an email from them today advising that by popular demand the Christmas Curry Special is back. [:-))]  The curry is a real taste of luxury based on the Balti but with the addition of one or two unusual ingredients. It has been designed to work specifically with Turkey and Chicken. BUT, works equally well with other meats and Vegetables. It has a rich and sweet taste with slight kick. 

Drop John an email, you won’t regret it! 

Brian

I'll tell you lot something. Since we moved to France we have found some wonderful FRENCH food in French resturants. Wonderfull food, cooked well and with lovely flavours. I also found some wonderful Chinese food when I was in Singapore for 2 1/2 years. Fantastic Malay food too and when I went to Thailand there were fantastic Thai resturants there?

Why do people want food 'from another country' cooked to taste as the people from another country want it to taste at home? Indian food in the U.K. has no bearing on what Indian food tastes like when it is cooked for Indian people. Chineese food is the same, nothing like the Chineese eat! It has been tailored to fit another completely different taste. Balti dishes are as much Indian food as are popcorn. They were invented by enterprising people who knew that when they started a new fashion the guilable would latch on to it and '''enjoy it'''. If yu want GOOD food then go for what is cooked and eaten by the people who live in that country. But go to a recomended place. You can get c r a p  where ever you go!

When in Rome, wear a toga!!! Oh, and eat spag boll?

Here endeth the lesson?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Why do people want food 'from another country' cooked to taste as the people from another country want it to taste at home? Indian food in the U.K. has no bearing on what Indian food tastes like when it is cooked for Indian people. Chineese food is the same, nothing like the Chineese eat! It has been tailored to fit another completely different taste. Balti dishes are as much Indian food as are popcorn. They were invented by enterprising people who knew that when they started a new fashion the guilable would latch on to it and '''enjoy it'''. [/quote]

We if you do want authentic Indian... feel free to drop by for a meal. I rpomise no balti... :)

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I'll tell you lot something. Since we moved to France we have found some wonderful FRENCH food in French resturants. Wonderfull food, cooked well and with lovely flavours. I also found some wonderful Chinese food when I was in Singapore for 2 1/2 years. Fantastic Malay food too and when I went to Thailand there were fantastic Thai resturants there?

Why do people want food 'from another country' cooked to taste as the people from another country want it to taste at home? Indian food in the U.K. has no bearing on what Indian food tastes like when it is cooked for Indian people. Chineese food is the same, nothing like the Chineese eat! It has been tailored to fit another completely different taste. Balti dishes are as much Indian food as are popcorn. They were invented by enterprising people who knew that when they started a new fashion the guilable would latch on to it and '''enjoy it'''. If yu want GOOD food then go for what is cooked and eaten by the people who live in that country. But go to a recomended place. You can get c r a p  where ever you go!

Here endeth the lesson?

[/quote]

Hi Jonzjob,

are you saying that it is no possible to get authentic curry in the UK? If you are I have to disagree, we lived in a large asian community in SE london and in our street most of our neighbours were Asian, having eaten in their homes I would say that what they eat compares well with what was on offer in some of the restaurants. That said I agree that some dishes have been 'manufactured to appeal to westerners, other than Balti there is the lovely pink Chicken Tikka Masala which I am told is not quite so pink now because of the food dye!

And you only need to go to Soho's China Town for Chinese restaurants full of Chinese/Asian people enjoying their food. What I think it all comes down to is that if you personally enjoy a 'regional' food be it Indian, Chinese, Italian, whatever, If you enjoy it then that is all it comes down to same thing with wine, we went to our neighbours (French) and were proudly served with sparkling Lambrusco....this from a family connected to one of the best Cahors vineyards! Very nice it was too. Personally I don't thinkk that you can get a good 'tater 'ash' outside of Manchester...[:D]

best regards

Dave

[quote user="Dago"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

Here endeth the lesson?

[/quote]

Hi Jonzjob,
     are you saying that it is no possible to get authentic curry in the UK? If you are I have to disagree, we lived in a large asian community in SE london and in our street most of our neighbours were Asian, having eaten in their homes I would say that what they eat compares well with what was on offer in some of the restaurants. That said I agree that some dishes have been 'manufactured to appeal to westerners, other than Balti there is the lovely pink Chicken Tikka Masala which I am told is not quite so pink now because of the food dye!
      And you only need to go to Soho's China Town for Chinese restaurants full of Chinese/Asian people enjoying their food. What I think it all comes down to is that if you personally enjoy a 'regional' food be it Indian, Chinese, Italian, whatever, If you enjoy it then that is all it comes down to same thing with wine, we went to our neighbours (French) and were proudly served with sparkling Lambrusco....this from a family connected to one of the best Cahors vineyards! Very nice it was too. Personally I don't thinkk that you can get a good 'tater 'ash' outside of Manchester...[:D]

best regards

Dave
[/quote]

Hi Dave, no that's not what I said. I said that "Indian food in the U.K. has no bearing on what Indian food tastes like when it is cooked for Indian people." There are some lovely Indian places and they are where you will find Indians eating, but there are also a load of places that they would not cross the threshold.

I used to go into a wonderful Chinese resteraunt on the edge of Chinatown, Soho called the Fu Kung, I think, it's a huge place and the Europeans eat at rectangular tables in the basement or ground floor and the big round tables where the Chinese go are on the floors above that. Loads of Chinese use the place. The service is curt, but quick "You wan beer? We go beer!" Fawty Towers would be proud of them. The food is lovely and pleantyful and it's, or was, very cheap. Oh yes, they only accept cash, no cards or cheques. Fantastic place. I always had my meals upstairs and if you get there after about 7.15pm be prepaired for a long que and wait...

And no offence taken Dave!!! My Frances does a cracking curried eggs. Only fresh spices used and I get to grind them in in pestil and mortar, or is it a mortal and pissetil? I'm confused now [8-)]! What a lovely smell those spices give even before they go in the pot!!!

Bon apitite!! Et bon nuit...

Hilarious Verviale - I think I'll just wait to find something good IN France.  Maybe take Afy up on his offer.  Where is Dept. 10??  I'm sure it is a long way from me.  Too bad.

Husband works with some folks from Sri Lanka.  They too can prepare exceptional food.  Most of the ingredients they use, I cannot find here.  Such as the fresh curry leaves and dried fish flake things.

Lori, "the dried fish flakes": do you mean bonito flakes (they are dried shavings of tuna?) I can get some here in a good oriental supermarket in Montpellier. Actually there are 2 such shops there, I don't know about anywhere else in France but every large city must have at least one. As for fresh curry leaves, I don't know if they have them there. But I found a whole range of chutneys and pickles and coconut milks and powders and dried shrimps - it seems the "oriental" term encompasses Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian etc... well worth a visit, and browsing. The one I go to also has a whole lot of fresh foods (dim sum, tofu) - I know this is not Indian, since they are predominantly asiatic. Great range of spices too, and very cheap.

5-element - you are very fortunate.  I have searched all of Carpentras and found nothing.  There are mid-east type small shops, but they don't have the same things.  Even their mideast food selection was sad to me. 

I figure Avignon must have some better Asian / Int'l type shops, but in the many times I have walked the streets, I have never found any.  Avignon is big though and it is quite possible these types of shops are in areas I never go to.  Checked the phone book but there was nothing new there.

Not sure if the fish chips were tuna or not.  I will ask my husband.  I think he has some in his kitchen over there.

Goodness - I am surprised that Avignon would not have one, since Montpellier has two. Especially since Montpellier is much more North African than Asian/Oriental. I guess I am spoilt and didn't even know it! It will make me appreciate it even more when I next go there to get my supply of nuoc-nam, seaweed, lime pickle, mango pickle, fresh lemon grass etc...and bonito flakes, which I just munch straight out of the packet...Shame you can't beam yourself there Lori.

I'm sure there must be a good market somewhere in Avignon, I just don't know where.  It is a fairly large city.  I have asked a few people who live there and they have sent me various places, but I only find the usual Chinese or packaged Indian stuff.  I know you can buy most of the packaged stuff online (though I have never seen the dried fish bits).  I was  more interested in the fresh stuff.

Oh well.