Wine with Turkey

Innocents Abroad

Turkey itself is not that difficult match wine with.

The problem lies with the sauces that can go with it.

Cranberry sauce, stuffing etc can be a challenge,

The previous poster mentions Pinot Noir which is a good choice, but beware of cheap burgundy, it can be like a lot of cheap Bordeaux, rubbish. I used to like new world pinot noirs which are better value that Burgundies, but almost impossible to find in France, I actually miss new world wines, and I live in France, how sad is that?

Full flavoured whites can go well, oaky chardonnays etc, Alsace produes some rich whites which can work.

What you do not want are bone dry whites or dry reds, they do not seem to cope.

Hope this helps.

How about a Hermitage from Chave or a Cote Rotie from Guigal and for the cheese a Cornas from Clap yes that is the name.  If Clap is not available then go for the Voge from Cornas.  Of course there is always Beaucastel from CDP or Vieux Telegraphe or Rabasse at Cairanne.  Essentially and most definitely  Rhone.

Good idea Nick, wonder why I didn't think of that [:P]. 

I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else was having with their Christmas turkey.  Perhaps I overdid the 'special' thing?  I am ever grateful to those who responded but did think there might be a few more suggestions.  I have tried to find those wines that were recommended - albeit not with my fullest efforts (yet), but how does one find Pinot Noir when - and Oz & James did confirm this only last evening - the French are somewhat reluctant to specify what grapes are used on their wine bottle labels?

I regard myself as a 'know what I likes' sort of girl and usually it's cheap, cheerful and comes in a large container.  On the other hand I have had some excellent wines in my time, though usually it was on someone else's recommendation - and someone else was paying for it [:D].  This is the first Christmas that I have been faced with the choice of only French wines and I just wanted to make sure we had something good..

Nick, your idea is a good one but as there's only four days left to Christmas I think I'm going to be hard pressed to get through all the bottles on all of the shelves.  Perhaps if I do as you suggest throughout the year I'll be able to offer some useful suggestions to someone next year who might have the same question as mine [:P]

Lynda M xx

Edit: thanks nufan and Llwyncelyn - you were responding at the same time as me.  I'll definitely look out for that one.

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]Nufan  obviously Guigal Cote Rotie is highly prized and indeed priced.  However look out for Clusel Roche a Husband and wife team which is less expensive but all the characteristics of Cote Rotie.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip !!! I'll try that ![;-)]

Without getting too Oz Clarke, Gevrey-Chambertin  is a cru of the Côte de Nuits and therefore a Pinot Noir wine. And as Oz rabbits-on, it is all about 'terroir' as to whether you drink a great wine or just an above average one. Also about price.

The film 'Sideways' hilariously had wine buffs in California going nuts about Pinot Noir.

Actually, we have a "man", who knocks on the door every couple of months & sells us what we want - he is very knowledgeable and (on the couple of occasions it has arisen) his advice is spot on.

He doesn't sell supermarket wines, but he sells at supermarket prices (and non of this up-front-payment-wait-until-the-23rd-pressing nonsense, either!)