french onion soup

Patf

I think it was a Floyd recipe that I first used years ago..... (must have been, there was alcohol involved).  He added a dash of dry vermouth a few minutes before serving.  Try the same recipe (whichever you use) with and without and you'll never have it without again![:D]

[quote user="Coco"]I think it was a Floyd recipe that I first used years ago..... (must have been, there was alcohol involved).  He added a dash of dry vermouth a few minutes before serving.  Try the same recipe (whichever you use) with and without and you'll never have it without again![:D][/quote]

And his talents were passed on to Jean-Christophe Novelli, who ran Floyd's UK resto in the late 80's; while he was engaged on the 'TV shows'.  

I have not tasted Keiths, however, my wife made the most wonderful soup with Christophe's recipe. One and the same; dont know.

[url="http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/food.recipe/aid/554662"]Christophe's French Onion Soup (click)[/url]

Looks good, but surely that should be 6 servings (2.2 litres of stock and 6 slices of bread) not 4?

Interesting that he uses veal, chicken and vegetable stock and white wine, whereas other recipes I have seen use beef stock. Maybe for a more modern, lighter effect?

I didn't know his (J-C N) connection with KF - was that the place that went bust - or was that all of them?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Looks good, but surely that should be 6 servings (2.2 litres of stock and 6 slices of bread) not 4?

It's not baby portions Dick.

I didn't know his (J-C N) connection with KF -

oh mon dieu; you need to get out of the classroom more often my friend [B]

was that the place that went bust - or was that all of them?

[quote=]I like to add a dash of Maggi Arome Saveur to things like this - and gravies - which gives a solid belt of umami to the flavour
[/quote]

Indisputably the Maggi one. [+o(]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Don't understand!
[/quote]

There's a surprise[Www]

Your culinary tastes are to die for[+o(]  I seen you recipes somewhere before, Masterchef, what a forgetable menu you produced, took the taste to a higher level; never to be forgotten. Nurse....................

I think I'll try the Christophe recipe as I like the idea of red onions which are sweet anyway. BUT - is there an alternative to butter for the frying? I'm on a low cholesterol diet and horrified at that amount of butter. Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]I think I'll try the Christophe recipe as I like the idea of red onions which are sweet anyway. BUT - is there an alternative to butter for the frying? I'm on a low cholesterol diet and horrified at that amount of butter. Pat.
[/quote]

Hi Patf, Understand the butter thing, use low fat alternative. Shouldn't be a problem to the overall enjoyment of the recipe. Let me know how you find it.

French onion soup brings back very special memories off the first time we tasted it. It was in Paris many years ago, in early February and was particularily cold. My wife and I went for a wedding anniversary, we decided to have lunch one day near the Arc de Triomphe. We always go back when we visit,  often on my own due to business, and it tastes as we remembered it.