Wine and Food combinations from heaven

Ian

I'm doing a little research into great local wine and food mariages.  Do you know of a great combo?  I would love to hear from you - and if it is a particularly esoteric dish, could you please include a recipe.

While sauternes is always quoted as being perfect with Roquefort - they are hardly a local pairing.  I hope you can help,

Many thanks,

Ian

[quote user="Ian"]I'm doing a little research into great local wine and food mariages.  Do you know of a great combo?  I would love to hear from you - and if it is a particularly esoteric dish, could you please include a recipe.

While sauternes is always quoted as being perfect with Roquefort - they are hardly a local pairing.  I hope you can help,

Many thanks,
Ian

[/quote]

Pie and a pint!...............

Sorry Ian I misread your post ,I thought you were asking ;.........

Wine and Food combinations from Govan

Leo

Personally I don't find Pizza goes particularly well with wine - the acidity of the tomato and cheese may have something to do with it.

In the Languedoc the obvious maverick combination is Chocolate with Banyuls or the similar Maury, i.e. tawny port style but a bit denser.

For Roquefort then Muscat de Rivesaltes is the local sweet wine choice.

Picpoul de Pinet with shellefish from the next door basin de Thau.

From further east Clairette de Die (sweet sparkling) is heaven with strawberries.

A sweet racy muscat (say St Jean de Minervois) with Charentais melon.

More personal choices - grilled meats with garrigue herbs partnered with a hearty version of the classic local blend syrah/grenache/carignan. Brandade de morue (salt cod with olive oil and garlic) and an oily aromatic roussanne.

Charentais Melon halves scouped out and filled with Muscat de Beaumes de Venise

Hot Crottin de Chavignol on toast and a crisp white Sancerre or Menetou Salon

Rule of thumb also - never cook with a wine that you wouldnt drink by the glass so eg bouef bougignon should be made with a decent Burgundy

I have found that Sancerre blanc is good with spicy dishes, chinese, curries etc

A variation on kir - red sancerre (chilled) and peach juice makes a lovely summer aperitif

In case you hadnt guessed I am from the Sancerre region!!!

Doh, Graham beat me to it, I was going to say banyuls and chocolate myself.  Banyuls is pretty damn good with foie gras as well, and a bit of a change from the sweet white wines that are usually served with it.

• 3 weeks later...