Edible or not?

Judith

Here in France celery and leeks (for example) come with their tops on, as opposed to having been shorn as is usual in the UK.  Since I am a lover of put everything in the pot cooking and hate wasting veg, are the tops or leaves of such veg edible in soups etc, or as salad??  Any clue where I might find out - all my English cookery books fail to mention such useful things!

Thanks

Celery leaves are full of flavour, almost like a herb, to put in stews and soups. I don't like it much, too overpowering, but you might find it an interesting flavour.

As for leeks, I never use the tops of the leaves. Many people here buy huge quantities of leeks, I wonder what they do with them all. There's a limit to the amount of leek and potato soup you can eat.

In summer you also get carrots with the tops on, and beetroot.

Clair - merci - I'l try it next time! 

PatF  - I think it must be leek tart - I saw loads being bought yesterday.  I put them into stews, as hubby will eat them but not onions (or garlic, but he doesn't know that there is garlic in there sometimes (!):))

I had heard of celery tops being used in saladings, but I think I'll start with soups an stews.

Sorry for delay in acknowledging, still unpacking boxes, but thankully the last of the china and glassware was done this morning, and once hubby puts up the shelves (whic he is doing now, so got away so as not to disturb!), I might at last get my ktchen organised.

[quote user="Val_2"]For my sins I just love leeks sautéed in butter until soft and then a dollop of crême fraiche and some parmesan cheese stirred in - lovely.[/quote]

Can't think of anything nicer myself, either.  Next time, I'll try that, today my leeks which I cooked with the salmon in the woodburning cuisinière were a little underdone and dry, but the salmon was absolutely gorgeous, better even than the microwave which is my standard way with salmon.