E's

Just Katie

Well Hagar, there seem to be 4 of us on the same planet. We went to the market in Carcassonne last Saturday morning. There were about 4 or more Bio stalls selling vegatables, all top quality and at reasonable prices. At least 2 Bio bakers and several who were not. Some wonderful stuff to be had. We didn't even get chance to get to the meat/fish market hall, we were so loaded down. So we went and had a lovely cup of coffee and went home to a lovely lunch of what we had just bought! As for tomatoes, they are still on the vines in the local gardens and allotments and they look lovely too!

To add, the tomatoes in the market came in every size, shape and colour. Including multicoloured ones of green throught yellow to deep red all on the same tomato... Perfectly ripe and ready to eat.

I don't know about Leader Price, Albi or Netto and can't comment as to what they are like because we have never been in there?

[quote user="teapot"]

[quote user="chessie"]Hello Just Katie

I Agree Totally - French food is the most awful, awful rubbish.  I long for the quality and selection of Tescos or Waitrose.....

Chesie

[/quote]

I can't believe quality and Tesco can exist in the same sentence. I do not by English supermarket meat as it is pumped full of water and is tasteless. I only buy meat from proper butchers.

It does cost more in France no doubt but generally has much more flavour than the bright pink rubbish sold in England.

I wonder if the french, who seem to eat seasonal produce and are not like the UK, everything on sale all of the time have grown up with this and we struggle because we are not used to it?

[/quote]

Good and bad in both countries as far as I am concerned.

Plenty of good food is available in the U.K. if you are prepared to pay

that little bit extra. Our U.K. organic veg. boxes full of seasonal fare, are

excellent value and the food much fresher than some overpriced organic

fruit and veg. to be found in some local (U.K.) supermarkets.

French Supermarkets where I have shopped can be variable though

sometimes good but our local markets in France do good  fruit and veg.both 

organic and non organic.

Best meat is available from local butchers and I find that to be the case both sides of the channel.

You pay your money and you take your choice.[:)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Well Hagar, there seem to be 4 of us on the same planet. We went to the market in Carcassonne last Saturday morning. There were about 4 or more Bio stalls selling vegatables, all top quality and at reasonable prices. At least 2 Bio bakers and several who were not. Some wonderful stuff to be had. We didn't even get chance to get to the meat/fish market hall, we were so loaded down. So we went and had a lovely cup of coffee and went home to a lovely lunch of what we had just bought! As for tomatoes, they are still on the vines in the local gardens and allotments and they look lovely too!

To add, the tomatoes in the market came in every size, shape and colour. Including multicoloured ones of green throught yellow to deep red all on the same tomato... Perfectly ripe and ready to eat.

I don't know about Leader Price, Albi or Netto and can't comment as to what they are like because we have never been in there?

[/quote]

But I work and dont have time to go to the markets.  I therefore have to rely on supermarkets.  If I choose to cook fresh, the veg is often manky and if I choose ready meals, they are all full of e's and rubbish.

Where is Lloyd Grosman when you need him?