main meals for summer days

Patf

And I mean HOT summer days as we are having at the moment.

My repertoire is rather limited, the main one being my version of Salade Nicoise:

1) Boil some new potatoes cut small, eggs to hardboil, and a few green beans.

2)Prepare some french dressing in a large bowl, then toss the potatoes and beans when cooked. Remove.

3)Line dish with salad leaves, tossing in the remaining dressing.

4) Pile up potatoes etc in the bowl, add tuna, flaked, finely sliced onions and tomatoes, sliced eggs, scatter on some capers. 

Thats it!

Any other suggestions?

I like to make a lentil salad or a green bean salad, along the same principle as your recipe:

Cooked lentils (NOT red lentils!) or green beans + chopped shallots or red onion, garlic and fresh herbs + sharp dressing.

Add chopped hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, tuna or steamed veg: green beans, small cauliflower bouquets, artichoke hearts... as desired.

Serve at room temperature.

Add anchovies to make it more niçoise and I scatter chopped walnuts to give it some crunch (and to use up the walnuts from our trees).  If I feel flush I add pine nuts (which I adore but which I also find expensive).

Macaroni - cook as normal, drain and add a good whack of 'pink' sauce (buy it, or make it).

Add sweetcorn, canned tuna (just break it up a bit), diced spring onion (for 'crunch'), chopped parsley. Season well.

Loosen the mixture with a slug or two or three of dry white wine.  Chill. (the mixture, not you!)

Serve, garnished with halved cherry toms.

Perfect for a hot Summer day lunch.  

GAZPACHO -

Preparation 15 minutes, Chilling at least 1 hour in the fridge.

INGREDIENTS -

500g Ripe tomatoes, skinned and seeded.

1 Green pepper coarsely chopped.

1 Cucumber chopped.

1 Onion chopped.

1 Clove garlic crushed.

4 Tbsp olive oil.

200ml Tomato juice.

1 Slice wholemeal bread crumbled.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Ice cubes.

METHOD - Blend all ingredients together (add a little water if necessary)and chill.

Serve really cold with an ice cube in the centre and garnishes in little bowls on the table for everyone to help themselves as required. Eat with plenty fresh bread.

GARNISHES

Selection of 4 or 5 garnishes all finely chopped, boiled egg, red/green/yellow pepper, cucumber, celery, black/green olives, croutons. ENJOY!!

Some tasty ideas there [:)]

Another recipe I just thought of is a type of kedgeree:

1) Boil some rice, and eggs to hardboil.

2) Poach or microwave some smoked haddock. ('addock 'ere.)

3) Cool the rice, flake the fish and mix lightly.

4) garnish with chopped parsley, chopped eggs, and other raw veg. to your taste.

I like a cheese sauce with this but it's not very authentic.

Well here we go.

We have always served it as you say .....but with the rice rather butter in flavour, fluffy and with a light spicing of tummic/saffron[either/or] powder and a few cardomon pods mixed in with the rice.To fininsh a few lightly roasted almond flakes on the top.

Fresh broad beans and peas from the pod very lightly cooked[broad beans de husked] this makes a perfect vegetable match.But like everything it is subjective.

Good idea to put a few cardomum pods in with the rice, jon.  It's a bit bland otherwise. And butter instead of cheese sauce.

I've just finished making a couscous salad, forked up with french dressing after a quick soak in boiling water. When cool add almonds , raisins, pinenuts and a small tin of corn.

Serve with thinly sliced smoked duck breasts, and a scattering of chopped mint.

Ooops slices of  fresh baby corn....perhaps! Cous Cous is excellent with tandori chix.You can make that by mixing some spices and useing greek natural yoghurt.Marinate over night [do not forget a little corriander,cummin,garlic,chilli and tuemrric in your spice mix...tiny hint of fresh ginger.Great for cooking on a griddle.

With the rest of the yoghurt make some rhaita...which is chopped cucumber...fresh mint leaves chopped...and a little of this natural youghurt.

I can see that you try to only use fresh produce, and you are right. I'm partial to tinned corn though. It makes nice fritters.

I will try the cucumber/yoghurt/ mint side dish.  With the fritters maybe [:)] Thanks.

If you add some crushed garlic to the yogurt/cucumber/mint mixture you''ll have tzatziki.

You can spoon it over some slices of aubergine that have been brushed with olive oil and grilled on the barbeque (or in the oven) and then left to cool a little.