Role of Fiscal Rep in sale of French Property by non residents

stoneman

I have received a proposal from a company, FRTS, at the instigation of the notaire , to act as a fiscal representative in relation to capital gains tax on the sale of our french house owned with our relatives through an SCI. (Minimum fee 2000 euros!?)

Are these a reliable company? Are there any other options?

I thought this practice of requiring insurance against payment of tax by non residents had been eliminated under EU competition rules - is it still current?

Yes, SD, it is a very good way to stop people rushing off and not paying their dies but it removes apparently the simple way of doing it which is through one's local tax office. I was sure you can do it that way too, though.

I wonder how legal it is to apply an extra tax to non-doms, for that is what the fee is.

A friend of mine sold an apartment for in excess  of €700,000 with a nice capital gain. The fiscal rep wanted 1% of the sale value for doing nothing. 30 minutes at the local tax office sorted it all out as it was a straight forward case, and no cost. Fiscal rep costs are a straight forward con, and imo contrary to EU legislation.

It was a very simple case of an apartment bought for 612k and sold for 718k to include all costs. My friend arrived at the tax office armed with the documents. 30 minutes was a long time to compute the taxation due, I suspect most people would take about 30 seconds with a calculator. €7,000 plus is somewhat excessive and nice work for a couple of minutes work.

Thanks to all for posting. It looks to be a bit of a moot point whether the Fiscal Rep is completely mandatory or not. As I don't have the stomach for a battle with French bureaucracy I guess we will have to grit our teeth and pay up. It seems to be an issue which is worth taking further though. Perhaps France magazine should think about taking it up.

• 6 months later...

I wonder if anyone else has managed to sort this out with their local tax office recently.  We are helping some friends sell their house in France, the sale price will be less that their initial purchase price some 7 years ago and the Notaire is asking 3500 Euros for this service, which is rubbing salt into the wound as there is no CGT involved.

I have not challenged the Notaire about this, but she knows that the selling price is less than the purchase price.

Thanks in advance for any input.

As I understand it the fee of the Fiscal Rep is merely an insurance ploicy to cover the Notaire if he makes a mistake with tthe capital gain calculation. In your friend's case go to the tax office. Pay for a translator if neccassary: it's certainly not going to cost €3.500.