Saussison and Salt

idun

There was something on tv tonight saying that Tesco were selling tialian whole salami sausages, that actually just looked like saussion to me and they were out of date.

Now, I don't think that I have ever looked at a date on a saussison, I just thought that it was cured and was meant to 'keep' for a very long time. Is salami not saussison? And do saussison keep for an age?

Also, why does salt have a sell by date on it. Can salt go off? In fact can pepper go off?

According to various internet sources, Salami can be kept at room temperature for 10 years!! (as long as you don't cut it of course)

Never seen a code on salt - are you sure its not some other sort of code?

Did see a code on mineral water in the UK though - just checked a bottle of fizzy eau de source in the fridge and there is none :-)

I too have seen use by and BBF dates on salt - utter nonsense - the worst that is going to happen is that the added magnesium anti clumping agent will absorb its full quota of ware and the salt will go lumpy and not flow freely.

Pepper - I guess could go-off  (as in loose its power) over time.

2 year BBF dates on canned goods also seem to me to be a nonsense.

Ah but we do make saussison, had a lot of trouble getting hold of skins though and they were expensive.

I just cannot remember what was on tv last night, probably because I wasn't watching but had it on and only heard bits of it. Someone was saying that tesco had been in trouble for selling salami that was out of date and I just wondered 'how' it could have been.

And strangely at about the same time I was just about to put away some sel de guerande with a date that says 31 12 05 on it and I am sure that I had it well before 2005. What does that date mean, it's odd really and I'm still going to use it. I love scattering some sel de guerande in my pan before I cook salmon, love the crunch and saltiness. Also put it in a cooked pot au feu, a little sprinkle and that wow of salt every now and again. I know a lot of people don't use salt, but it is something that I should always remember how much I like it.

I am still using some white pepper we took to France and have brought back[:-))] it is that old there was no sell by date on it, and I haven't killed us yet with it.[6] We usually use fresh black pepper all the time, but I have the very odd thing where I use white pepper, and that is why it has lasted so long;

Pepper corns seem to keep indefinitely but I have found that ground pepper can loose its flavour after a time. I don't think it would ever be dangerous to use. I have seen best before dates on bottled water in the UK which is ridiculous given that the label explains how it has been filtered through rock for thousands of years. But you can't beat EC rules and regulations[:D]

[quote user="Rabbie"] I have seen best before dates on bottled water in the UK which is ridiculous given that the label explains how it has been filtered through rock for thousands of years.[/quote]

I seem to remember that has something to do with elements of the plastic bottle leaching into the water after time.

Does water in a glass bottle have a best before date?