How to translate 'cuisine artisanale' ?

NormanH

[quote user="Juswundrin"]"artistically presented by a craftsman cook then "

"Craftsman cook" does sound a bit clumsy to me; how about simply "artistically presented by a true craftsman"?

My thinking is that, given the context, it's pretty obvious you're talking about a cook and not a potter![/quote]

I like that.[:)]

and I know what Gardian means about 'home cooking'...

What I want is to say 'faite maison'..

The company that supplies most of the warm up in microwave ready meals that most pub resturants in the UK use.

They have made massive inroads into the French market by linking up with French celebrity chefs, throwing glittering bashes in Paris, basically they provide very good quality food at a price that the resto's just cant beat fait maison, there have been many exposé's on French tv where restaurants are claiming to be artisanale or fait maison but are just reheating prepared dishes, nearly always from Brake bro's France.

By all acounts their heat and serve croissants are unbeatable for price and quality.

Sad really but perhaps inevitable.

I knew about the practise, but not the name of the company.

Unfortunately it is very often here (my town anyway)  passed off as 'Cuisine Traditionelle' which is one of the reasons I haven't picked up that particular suggestion for translating artisanale..

There are very few places that make their own crème anglaise for example, and I have been told that home-made mayonnaise is practically forbidden for fear of salmonella (it has to be used in under 24 hours)

Just a few more nails in the coffin of French restaurants

[quote user="NormanH"]

Unfortunately it is very often here (my town anyway)  passed off as 'Cuisine Traditionelle' which is one of the reasons I haven't picked up that particular suggestion for translating artisanale..

[/quote]

Fair point.

I've heard it said that fewer than 10% of pub restaurants in the UK are serving food that is genuinely homemade. Apparently the term has little legal meaning.

Where the likes of Brake Bros are really making inroads in France are in what could be called tourist restaurants - high volume places that see distinct seasons. It's not that what BB sell is particularly cheap (I understand that often it's more expansive than the cost of the ingredients would be), but it can be prepared and served by staff with only the bearest minimum of training, which really cuts down the labour costs.

That's why quite a lot of places run by families or be couples with perhaps a single waiter still manage to hang on and are still able to present food that is prepared from scratch and cooked on the premises.

Of course the higher-range places manage it because they can charge more, but you've certainly explained why they are so keen to make a point that they actually cook what they are serving [8-)]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"][quote user="NormanH"]

[/quote]

Fair point.

I've heard it said that fewer than 10% of pub restaurants in the UK are serving food that is genuinely homemade. Apparently the term has little legal meaning.

Where the likes of Brake Bros are really making inroads in France are in what could be called tourist restaurants - high volume places that see distinct seasons. It's not that what BB sell is particularly cheap (I understand that often it's more expansive than the cost of the ingredients would be), but it can be prepared and served by staff with only the bearest minimum of training, which really cuts down the labour costs.

That's why quite a lot of places run by families or be couples with perhaps a single waiter still manage to hang on and are still able to present food that is prepared from scratch and cooked on the premises.

Of course the higher-range places manage it because they can charge more, but you've certainly explained why they are so keen to make a point that they actually cook what they are serving [8-)]
[/quote]