Cholesterol and Diabetes

idun

[quote user="idun"]Well this has all confused me beyond belief.

Our friend is off fatty stuff, the hospital has told him to. And carbs.

No idea now what to do about cooking anything at all for him. No wonder the poor 'ugger is so thin these days.

[/quote]

That takes me back to a dear work colleague of mine,  He was ill and the doctor put him on a diet which had so little in the way of nourishment he lost so much weight he looked like a ghost.   He asked me to witness his will as he got so poorly, I said only on the condition that you go to hospital and get a second opinion.

The hospital doctor/consultant threw the diet sheet in the bin and said go eat what ever you want, you are too thin and poorly for me to treat you, come back and see me in two weeks, He did just that and was back to his usual self in a couple of days and gained weight to his usual level. 

Idun, it's protein, they need, the fatty stuff in moderation wouldn't hurt.

LOL Wooly, just need to add some tompinambour to that little lot...............and he'd be turbo charged on his way home.[:-))]

Still chick peas and lentils are good. But simply boiled are pretty tasteless, so how what would perk them up and make them tasty, nay delicious?

Fish and salad, yes, but that too is boring isn't it. How can I titillate that. What about a glorious dressing for the salad?

Idun, this recipe of Jamie's for salmon with herby spinach lemtils is excellent. Spool down the page a bit to find it.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25795

When I cook the lentils, I add a whole peeled onion studded with cloves to give a bit of extra flavour and remove it before serving.

Not sure if you need to leave off the parma ham for a diabetic. Maybe it's ok without too much fat.

Angela

• 1 month later...