Closing Window Shutters

audio

I don't think insurance is any more compulsory in France than it is in UK.

We were told that the Notaire would want evidence of insurance at the signing of the Acte and although we had got it, and would have anyway, it was never so much as mentioned on the day.

The standard type of shutter which PPP pictures is, on it's own, no stronger than the two 15mm wood screws which hold the carriers for the hinged tabs which in turn lock against the 'D' shaped fixed stops in the cill and lintel. These can be overcome in seconds with a 4" screwdriver or similar small implement. I ditched those wood screws and replaced them with same type of 6mm coach bolts which are used for the actual hinges.

Our property has been burgled (when it was locked up for a long period).  We now have two steel bars across each pair of window shutters (three on door shutters).  These are secured by 1cm thick bolts that go through both the shutter and the steel bar.  We have 4 bolts per steel bar.  We also have boards that bolt across the upstairs windows.  The latter quite obviously state that the house isn't occupied.  It's a pain in the *ss locking up for the winter but it would take a pretty determined thief to get in!

Re insurance, we have buildings and contents insurance in France and in the UK - the building insurance is mandatory as we have mortgages secured on both of the properties.  The latter our choice - but as we have some fairly valuable stuff (large TV, PC, antiques etc) we feel it's worthwhile.  My parents haven't bothered with contents insurance for thirty plus years.  They reckon they have saved thousands over the years.  In my father's opinion they could have a break-in tomorrow and the house stripped bare and they would still be quids in over all.  But then they don't have a lot of expensive stuff, there's usually someone at home (and has been for many years) and they have an 'all singing, all dancing' security alarm.

Mrs R51

I have always taken the view that if someone wants to break in they will. At home I have 3 large loud dogs and a safe but even then if they want to take their chances!!!

In France I have nothing too valuable (probably the lawn mower is the most valuable single item). I certainly have nothing of sentimental value or something which cannot easily be replaced. I am properly and copiously insured and lock up properly when I leave the property empty. The gates are chained and bolted but thats no deterrant really.

My insurance agent has seen the property, the locks we have and the shutters. They are happy. If I am unlucky after that then I fully expect a big insurance payout to cover my losses.

A slight case of Schizophrenia here I think, another Devils Advocate??

I've been away for several weeks and return to find the above post attributed to me!

Is it possible to have 2 forum members with the same user name?

Edit: Ah, I see there's a space missing in the new name!

Post edited by moderator - yes it is possible to have two contributors of the same name, or certainly very similar.
Personal rudeness will be deleted in accordance with the Code of Conduct

[quote user="devilsadvocate"]

A slight case of Schizophrenia here I think, another Devils Advocate??

I've been away for several weeks and return to find the above post attributed to me!

Is it possible to have 2 forum members with the same user name?

Edit: Ah, I see there's a space missing in the new name! DA[/quote]

The other devil's advocate joined this forum a week before you did, so how could he have stolen your name?

Quote edited by the moderators.